Turkey, Stuffing and Cranberry Sausage Rolls
Turkey, Stuffing and Cranberry Sausage Rolls are a great use of Thanksgiving & Christmas turkey leftovers all rolled up in flaky puff pastry.
A little savory, a little sweet, it’s the flavors of a holiday dinner in a roll.
English sausage rolls are a popular on-the-go meal and snack in the U.K and this recipe is inspired by my recipe for Homemade Sausage Rolls.
I have had some comment about these Turkey, Stuffing and Cranberry Sausage Rolls asking “Where is the sausage?” The definition of sausage is ground or chopped meat mixed with other ingredients and seasonings and not all sausage is in casings. So if you want to dissect it, the turkey, stuffing and cranberry are chopped, mixed together and molded into the shape of a sausage.
These sausage rolls really couldn’t be easier to make because the filling is already made, so, the only work involved is the rolling of pre-made dough. There’s not much cooking involved, something else to be thankful for.
My go-to stuffing/dressing is cornbread, sage & onion stuffing. This is the stuffing that fills me up before I eat my Thanksgiving dinner because I can’t stop eating it. It’s that good.
What can you make with leftover turkey?
It’s the day after Thanksgiving and you have 5 pounds of roasted turkey left, mountains of stuffing and dollops of cranberry sauce. You worked so hard making all this food, what to do with it all? Make sausage rolls of course.
I also have a stunning Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
The beauty of using pre-made puff pastry (other than no one has the time or patience to make it) is it doesn’t have to be rolled out. You just defrost it, unfold and cut it. Brushing egg wash over the top and sides makes for lovely browning of the pastry.
The size of the sausage rolls are meal size. I like to serve with a side of peas and extra cranberry sauce. To make snack or appetizer size, cut them in half before baking.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted per package instructions
- 1 cup leftover cooked turkey meat, chopped
- 1/2 cup leftover stuffing
- 1/4 cup leftover cranberry sauce, strain off any juice
- 1 egg, beaten with a teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 400° F/200 °C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a bowl, add the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Mix well.
- Fold out the pastry onto a floured surface to 16 x 9 inches (40 x 23 cm). Cut in half lengthwise.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the turkey mix to the closest edge to you. Brush egg wash on the edge directly opposite. Roll the pastry over the filling to meet the egg wash edge, making sure the seam is on the bottom.
- When all the rolls are done place onto the baking sheet and brush them all with egg wash. Using a sharp knife. cut 3 slices across the top of each roll to vent.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 458Saturated Fat 7gCholesterol 58mgSodium 320mgCarbohydrates 39gProtein 12g