Italian Sausage and Bean Casserole
Italian Sausage and Bean Casserole is a wonderful, hearty and comforting one pan stew that your family will enjoy over and over. This truly is a 30 minute meal.
Busy weeknights are back, in that school is (or soon will be) back in session. This is a stovetop casserole that you can cook ahead and reheats so easily. It makes even better leftovers.
This is a typical meal that you would find in Tuscany and beans play a huge part in the cuisine of this region.
Sweet Italian sausages are so good on their own, as a topping on pizza, served simply in a bun with peppers and onions and even better when cooked with cannellini beans in a tomato and rosemary sauce.
The sauce has a little or as much spice that you want to add from red pepper flakes. This is offset by using sweet sausage. You can also use spicy Italian sausage to kick up the spice a little more, just be mindful of the sauce spice.
Because there are delicious spices in the sausages, I like to cook them first in the same pan which gives extra flavor to the sauce.
Canned beans hold up very well in this dish because they are added to the sauce at the end so there is no need for any long cooking times.
The wine can be omitted if you’re serving to children. Replacing with chicken stock is a delicious alternative.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 Sweet Italian sausages
- 1 cup (128 grams) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) red wine
- Small pinch red pepper flakes, more if you like it spicier
- 3 cups (384 grams) canned, diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 30 ounces (878 grams) cannellini/white kidney beans
- To a braising pan or high-sided skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Brown the sausages about 3 minutes per side until brown (they don't have to be cooked through) remove from the pan.
- To the same pan, add the onions (add more oil if needed) and cook until they start to soften. Add garlic and rosemary, stir and cook for 1 minute do not allow to brown. Add the tomato paste and red pepper flakes stir to combine. Add the wine and stir well, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the tomatoes break down and get saucy.
- Add the beans and stir to mix well. Nestle the sausages into the beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes, covered.
Amount Per Serving Calories 635Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 86mgSodium 437mgCarbohydrates 47gProtein 18g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.