Pea & Mint Pesto
Pea & Mint Pesto is an easy and delicious way to use the fresh peas of the season. So good on and with anything. Mix into hot pasta, gnocchi, spread on crusty bread for crostini, use as a dip for veggies or turn into a soup.
I love fresh pea season! Whether you call them fresh, garden peas or English peas, I always have peas in my freezer because they’re one of my favorite vegetables and they’re so handy to have on hand to throw into a soup or to warm-up as a quick side dish. When pea season is here, I buy as many as I can and use them in so many things.
This pesto can be made in under 10 minutes. The fresh peas are boiled for 3 minutes, allowed to cool, then blended with fresh mint, parmesan salt, pepper and olive oil. Done!
Finding this recipe in a no-pea season? No problem! Just use defrosted frozen peas.
This pea & mint pesto is a little different to the way pesto is usually prepared. Fresh garlic is typically used in pesto, but for this recipe, I didn’t want to overpower the sweetness of the peas and fresh mint so I substituted leek for extra flavor. In addition, there is also no nuts in this pesto because I want a nice smooth texture so I can use it for soup.
Can you freeze the pesto?
This pesto also freezes well, just add to a freezable container and seal well.
If you’ve tried this Pea & Mint Pesto or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 cups (10 ounces) fresh peas
- 1/2 cup chopped leek, 1/2 medium leek
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Bring a pan filled half-way with water to a boil and add the peas and leeks. Cook for 3 minutes, drain and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled add to a food processor the peas and leek, mint, parmesan, salt & pepper.
- Pulse 10 times until chopped, then with the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil until well blended.
Serving Size1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 245Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 7mgSodium 507mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 5g