Slow Cooker Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds
Slow Cooker Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds is the easiest and most delicious holiday side dish.
Taking help from the slow cooker to make things easy, green beans are slow cooked in bath of butter and vegetable stock, topped with sweet shallots and toasted almonds.
This week I am bringing to you a complete, holiday dinner menu consisting of 4 recipes. If you’re all ‘turkeyed out’ from Thanksgiving, then this is the menu for you.
In addition to this recipe, all this week look out for herb roasted beef tenderloin, cheesy rosemary mashed potato casserole (the best!) and you can’t have roast beef without my homemade creamy horseradish sauce that is so good and so easy to make. For a complete meal.
I’m not the biggest green bean fan, but this recipe made me devour them. Now, there is a little (just a little) pre-work involved before adding everything to the slow cooker and it is the shallots.
The reason for this is, I don’t like to add raw shallots because they will just not soften enough and might be too overpowering. When you get a bite of green bean with the sweet shallot, a little crunch from the almonds and all of this is coated in the butter and vegetable stock (which makes a nice little sauce), it’s perfection. I like to use toasted almond slices for this recipe because slivered are too thick and give to much of a bite.
When I’m preparing Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I like to use the crockpot for as many dish as I can and this is an easy side dish. The beans cook while you prepare the rest of the meal and it is such a big help.
In the recipe, I have given a choice of cooking times because some people like their green beans crunchy, some like them soft so anywhere from 3-4 hours should give you your desired tenderness.
So there you have recipe #1. Be on the lookout this week for the rest of this amazing holiday meal. I’ll be sharing links to all of the recipes in all of the posts.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces (125 grams) shallots, sliced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound green (454 grams) beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 cup (236 ml) vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) sliced almonds
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter melts add the shallots and sauté until softened. Remove from the heat.
- Turn the slow cooker on low.
- Add the green beans to the slow cooker along with the shallots, melted butter, salt & pepper and vegetable stock. Mix well. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours until the beans are at your desired tenderness. Toss periodically.
- Add the almonds to a dry sauté pan over low heat. Toast, tossing often until they turn golden brown.
- Serve the green beans, drizzled with the juice from the slow cooker and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Serving Size4 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 215Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 48mgSodium 487mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 4g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.
These are the the other recipes for the complete holiday dinner