Slow Cooker Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds is the easiest and most delicious holiday side dish. Taking help from the slow cooker to make things easy, green beans are slow cooked in bath of butter and vegetable stock, topped with sweet shallots and toasted almonds.
This week I am bringing to you a complete, holiday dinner menu consisting of 4 recipes. If you’re all ‘turkeyed out’ from Thanksgiving, then this is the menu for you. In addition to today’s slow cooker green beans with shallots and almonds, all this week look out for herb roasted beef tenderloin, cheesy rosemary mashed potato casserole (the best!) and you can’t have roast beef without my homemade cream horseradish sauce that is so good and so easy to make.
I’m not the biggest green bean fan, but this recipe made me devour them. Now, there is a little (just a little) pre-work involved before adding everything to the slow cooker and it is the shallots. The reason for this is, I don’t like to add raw shallots because they will just not soften enough and might be too overpowering. When you get a bite of green bean with the sweet shallot, a little crunch from the almonds and all of this is coated in the butter and vegetable stock (which makes a nice little sauce), it’s perfection. I like to use toasted almond slices for this recipe because slivered are too thick and give to much of a bite.
When I’m preparing Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I like to use the slow cooker for as many dish as I can and this is an easy side dish, perfect for the slow cooker. The beans cook while you prepare the rest of the meal and it is such a big help.
I have give a variance in the cooking time because some people like their green beans crunchy, some like them soft so anywhere from 3-4 hours should give you your desired tenderness.
So there you have recipe #1. Be on the lookout this week for the rest of this amazing holiday meal. I’ll be sharing links to all of the recipes in all of the posts.
If you’ve tried this Slow Cooker Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces shallots, sliced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter melts add the shallots and sauté until softened. Remove from the heat.
- Turn the slow cooker on low.
- Add the green beans to the slow cooker along with the shallots, melted butter, salt & pepper and vegetable stock. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours until the beans are at your desired tenderness. Toss periodically.
- Add the almonds to a dry sauté pan over low heat. Toast, tossing often until they turn golden brown.
- Serve the green beans, drizzled with the juice from the slow cooker and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 322 Saturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 808mg Carbohydrates: 19g Protein: 7g
Here are the the other recipes for the complete holiday dinner