Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Pesto
Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Pesto is a wonderfully diverse recipe component. A delicious and easy sauce that you can add to hot pasta, use as a dip or spread on sandwiches.
Have you ever looked at sun-dried tomatoes in the store and wondered what you could use them for? They’re delicious in salads, but I going to show you how to turn them into an EASY (yes, that easy) sauce that is vegetarian and vegan so it is perfect for many different diet requirements.
All you need is a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil with herbs, fresh basil and garlic. One of my favorite uses of this fresh and hearty pesto is in Grilled Vegetable Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta (< click text for link). See below for more uses.
This recipes is another oldie (from 2015) with updated pictures and video.
Sun-Dried Tomato Options
Buy the sun-dried tomatoes in oil because the oil has taken on the flavor of the sun-dried tomatoes. I also sometimes use the sun-dried tomatoes in oil with herbs for extra flavor.
I like to ‘toast’ the garlic because raw garlic in pesto is too intense for me. This involves frying the cloves in a little oil which makes the garlic slightly browned, milder and sweeter. If you want to add the raw garlic cloves, just skip this step.
If you’ve tried this Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 18-ounces sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- To a small saucepan, add the oil over medium-low heat. When the oil starts to ripple, add the garlic cloves and gently fry, turning often until they start to brown. Remove and keep the oil.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor, including the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse until well mixed, but still fairly chunky. If you want it more saucy add more olive oil from frying the garlic.
Serving Size1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 397Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 0mgSodium 605mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 8gSugar 0gProtein 7g