Asparagus, Sun-Dried Tomato Puff Pastry Bites are pretty and delicious appetizers. Fresh asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes are wrapped in puff pastry. Perfect 1-biters to enjoy with friends, drinks and summer get-togethers.
Remember the easy sun-dried tomato pesto I made last week? This is just 1 of 2 recipes where the pesto was utilized, the other being a delicious grilled vegetable sun-dried pesto pasta. These puff pastry bites taste like a mini bite of sun-dried tomato pizza! Make sure you make plenty because they’ll all be gone in no time because it’s hard to stop once you start eating them.
They’re so easy to make and take just minutes to bake. With the help of store-bought puff pastry, 2-inch squares are cut, half a teaspoon of sun-dried tomato pesto is placed in the center and 2 asparagus tips are placed on top. Egg wash is added to 1 corner as a glue and the corners are folded to meet in the middle.
To get the finished look like it’s a package ‘tied’ around the middle, a thin strip of puff pastry is cut. Lay the strip across your hand and brush egg wash onto the ends. The ‘package’ is then placed upside down in your hand on top of the center of the strip.
The ends are both brought towards the package and ‘glued’ using egg wash.
And there you have it – your nice, pretty wrapped up package!
The packages are lined up on a parchment covered baking sheet, brushed with the egg wash and baked. I like to mix a little milk in with my egg wash as it not only thins the egg and makes it easier to brush, the sugars in the milk help the brown the pastry and the egg helps to give it shine.
Once they’re out of the oven, line them up like a pretty little chorus line and let your hungry guests go to town. These puff pastry bites are sure to impress even your most discerning guests!
I’ve had many questions about what to do with the stalks that are leftover. For the edible section (down to the tough ‘woody’ part), chop and add them to soups, stews or stir fries. For the ends that are to tough to eat, add them to stock for soups and stews.
If you’ve tried this Asparagus, Sun-Dried Tomato Puff Pastry Bites or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 48 asparagus tips, cut to 1 inch long
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dust a clean surface with the flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry using a rolling pin to 13 x 12 inches square.
- Using a pizza cutter, or large knife, cut a 1-inch strip from the longer 13 inch length.
- Cut the strip into 2 1/2 inch long strips that are about 1/8 inch thick. Set off to the side.
- Cut the pastry into 2 x 2 inch squares.
- Add the egg and milk to a small bowl and beat until mixed.
- Working with the pastry square in a diamond shape on the board, add 1/2 teaspoon of pesto to the center of each square.
- Place 1 asparagus tip facing to the left corner and another to the right corner.
- Brush egg was on the corner furthest from you.
- Fold the corner closest to you over the asparagus to the center, then bring the egg washed corner over and glue to the center.
- Place 1 strip of pastry in the center of your hand and lay a pastry package in the center.
- Brush each end of the strip with egg wash.
- Bring both ends to the package and glue them to the package, this is the underside so it doesn't have to look pretty.
- Place the package onto the parchment covered baking sheet.
- Once they are all done, brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 119mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g