Grilled Vegetable Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
Grilled Vegetable Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta is a delicious use of fresh summer vegetables that are grilled, added to pasta and dressed in a delicious homemade sun-dried tomato pesto.
Last week I made a really easy, and very tasty sun-dried tomato pesto. I loved this sauce so much, as well as this recipe, I use it in asparagus, sun-dried tomato puff pastry bites which are fun, bite-size appetizers.
This recipe is delicious warm, cold or room temperature for an easy lunch by the pool, take to the beach or enjoy as a light dinner.
Most of the summer, I keep a tub of this in the fridge because all of the vegetables make me feel I’m eating healthy. There are some times that I am out of the house all day so I put some in a takeout dish, throw it in my cooler and I have lunch whenever I need it.
What is the best pasta to use?
I like any pasta that has ridges and crevices that allows the sauce get into the grooves for maximum flavor with every bite. Fusilli/rotini, shells, cavatappi are all good choices. Avoid flat-shaped pasta because the weight of the vegetables will just make the dish look unappetizing and flat.
Any vegetable that can be grilled is perfect for this dish. I used zucchini, asparagus, red bell peppers and spring onions. Additions like bocconcini (small bite size mozzarella balls) give a lovely creaminess and cherry tomatoes make for a fresh, sweet bite.
For garnish, I love that chopped basil adds a fresh bite to the dish.
If you’ve tried this Grilled Vegetable Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed of the woody ends
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 6 green onions, washed, dried and ends trimmed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups pasta
- 2 cups sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 cup (6 ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat grill.
- Lay out the zucchini and asparagus on a large cutting board.
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, turn and repeat. Grill the zucchini, asparagus for about 6 minutes each side. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Place the bell peppers whole right on the grill. Char on all sides. Once the peppers are charred, remove from the grill and put in a bowl and cover.
- While the vegetables are cooling cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the pesto to the hot pasta and toss to coat, set aside to cool.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, take a paper towel and wipe the charred skin off and de-seed them.
- Chop all the grilled vegetables into bite-size pieces and add to the cooled pasta along with the cherry tomatoes, bocconcini and basil and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 7gProtein: 18g