Mexican Chile Lime Peanuts are coated in fresh lime juice, zest, Mexican spices then roasted. Adjust the spice level to your liking and they will be your new favorite snack.
What is more perfect when you’re sipping on your margarita than snacking on these easy and delicious peanuts?
I love to roast my own nuts for recipes. Whether it’s roasting almonds for homemade almond butter, or a mixed nut snack like autumn spiced nuts. I even keep roasted pecans in the fridge for a quick snack.
There are many ways to enhance the flavor of nuts. For this recipe, I’m going south of the border with these Mexican chile lime peanuts.
If you’re in a bar in in Oaxaca (pronounced wa-ha-ka) or Mexico City and order a beer, you’ll be served these peanuts along with chips and salsa (of course).
For me here at home, in addition to snacking on them all day after I made them, they made a lovely crunchy topping for chicken lettuce wraps that I made for dinner.
This is a simple recipe and any number of additions can be added to the mix for different flavors. A little sugar would take them to the sweeter side, cayenne pepper for a little heat and a little garlic powder would also be good as a pop of garlic flavor. Make them your own, the possibilities are endless.
Another use of delicious Mexican flavors is in my Mexican popcorn (recipe below). Using similar flavors with the addition of cheese.
- 3 cups (1 pound) shelled raw peanuts, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 ½ teaspoons ancho chile pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F/176°C.
- To a bowl add all of the ingredients except the nuts. Mix well.
- Add the nuts to the spice mix, stir to make sure the peanuts are all coated well. Spread the peanuts evenly onto a large baking sheet and roast for 12-15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool to room temperature and serve.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 149 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 707mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 6g