Mexican Popcorn is an easy and fun snack. Flavorful Mexican spices are sprinkled over warm, freshly popped popcorn, melted butter and a mixture of tangy, slightly salty cotija cheese and fresh lime zest.
I’ve never really thought about pairing the flavors of Mexican spices and cheese with popcorn, so when I was experimenting with this recipe I thought, what do I have do lose? No one can see me, so if doesn’t work out no one will know, I’ll eat the evidence (if it’s edible) and go on with my day.
Let me just say this, how this popcorn survived long enough for the photo shoot, I don’t know how. I was (no joke), shoving handfuls of it in my mouth as I was filling the bowl for the photos. Again, no one could see me, I think, I hope.
Buttery, nutty, spicy (without the heat), smokey, tangy, slightly salty with a bright citrus finish. I just described the sequence of flavors that will happen in your mouth when you eat this popcorn.
Both children and adults will devour this Mexican popcorn, serve at your next get together, over drinks or barbecue. I guarantee you will need to make it buy the bucket load because it will be gone fast.
I made a very tasty, watermelon jalapeño agua fresca that is perfect to wash down this tasty popcorn that is not only lovely to look at, but refreshing and delicious too. Cinco de Mayo is next week and this is 2 very easy recipes to serve if you are celebrating.
If you’ve tried this Mexican Popcorn or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 6 ounces Cotijta cheese, crumbled
- Zest of 1 small lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- Add the cotija cheese and lime zest to a small bowl and mix well, set aside.
- To a small bowl add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, keep warm over low heat.
- Place a large 3 quart or larger pot with a lid, over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 or 4 kernels and place the lid snuggly on the pan. When you hear the kernels start to pop, add the rest of the kernels, replace the lid. Give the pot a shake back and forth.
- When you start to hear the popping slow down, turn off the heat. Pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Pour the warm butter over the popcorn and add the spice blend, toss to mix well.
- Top with the cotija cheese mix.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 579mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 10g