Indian Spiced Peas
Indian Spiced Peas are cooked with onions and red bell peppers and Indian spices. There’s no easier (or healthier) way to add a lot of flavor to dishes than the use of spices for a very flavorful side dish.
Peas being my favorite frozen vegetable, I like to take them to the next level by adding healthy ingredients, spices and herbs. This is a great way to change up your usual vegetable dish and stay on track with healthy eating.
A full Indian meal
Indian Spiced Peas – Step by Step
Sauté onions, pepper and garlic in oil until softened.
Stir in Indian spices and cook for 1 minute to bring out the spice flavors.
Add water to the onions, peppers and spices. Stir to mix well.
Stir in the peas and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
If you’ve tried these Indian Spiced Peas or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (100 grams) yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces (340 grams) frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint
- To a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and pepper and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to low. Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander and garam masala. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the water and stir well. Stir in the peas. Serve warm, garnished with mint.
Serving Size3 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 330mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 5g