Basmati rice, the best tasting rice there is in my opinion. I made this last week as a side dish to Indian spice rubbed chicken thighs. They both made for a quick dinner that packs so much flavor and what I love is, since the vegetables are in the rice, you only need 1 side dish.
Curry vegetable basmati rice is made with curry powder and vegetables for a very flavorful side dish to pair with any chicken, beef or fish dish.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower cut into small florets
- 3 ounces green beans cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat.
- When melted and slightly bubbling, add the onions, red pepper, cauliflower, green beans and peas.
- Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basmati rice, curry powder and salt, cook another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the water and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the water has reduced to the rice level.
- Lower the heat, place a tight lid on the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes.