Curry Vegetable Basmati Rice
Curry Vegetable Basmati Rice is a simple, colorful side dish with big flavor. Vegetables and basmati rice are cooked with curry powder that will pair so well with any chicken, beef or fish dish.
They both made for a quick dinner that packs so much flavor and what I love is, since the vegetables are in the rice, this is the only side dish you need.
Basmati rice is always served with Indian food. It has a nutty, delicious flavor that you just don’t get from plain white rice.
Why do you add the dry rice to pan of vegetables?
This gives the rice a chance to toast and add a lovely, nutty flavor.
Can I make this a complete meal instead of just a side dish?
You can eat this vegetarian-style as a meal. Or if you want to add meat, cut up a store bought rotisserie chicken into bite-size pieces and mix in.
This Curry Vegetable Basmati Rice would make the best Indian-style fried rice using the leftovers. Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 whisked eggs and stir breaking up the eggs. Add the leftover rice, stir and cook until the rice is heated, browned and crispy.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces (170 grams) yellow onion, chopped
- 6 ounces (170 grams) red pepper, chopped
- 3 ounces (84 grams) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 ounces (84 grams) green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (105 grams) basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups (591 ml) water
- 1 cup (140 grams) frozen peas
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. When melted and slightly bubbling, add the onions, red pepper, cauliflower and green beans. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamom, and salt. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the basmati rice and water and stir to mix. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the peas and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 160Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 8mgSodium 570mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 5g