Curry Vegetable Basmati Rice is a simple, colorful side dish with big flavor. Vegetables and basmati rice are cooked with curry powder that will pair so well with any chicken, beef or fish dish.
Basmati rice, the best tasting rice there is in my opinion. I made this last week as a side dish to Indian spice rubbed chicken thighs. You are going to want to make these, look at that spiced crispy chicken skin below!
They both made for a quick dinner that packs so much flavor and what I love is, since the vegetables are in the rice, this is the only side dish you need.
Why do you add the dry rice to pan of vegetables?
This gives the rice a chance to toast and add a lovely, nutty flavor.
Can I make this a complete meal instead of just a side dish?
You can eat this vegetarian -style as a meal. Or if you want to add protein, cut up a store bought rotisserie chicken into bite-size pieces and mix in.
This Curry Vegetable Basmati Rice would make the best Indian-style fried rice using the leftovers. Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 whisked eggs and stir breaking up the eggs. Add the leftover rice, stir and cook until the rice is heated, browned and crispy.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces yellow onion, chopped
- 6 ounces red pepper, chopped
- 3 ounces cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 ounces green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. When melted and slightly bubbling, add the onions, red pepper, cauliflower, green beans and peas. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basmati rice, curry powder and salt, cook another 2 minutes, stirring. Add the water and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the peas and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 160 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 570mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 7g Protein: 5g