Ask any Englishman and most of us do love a good curry, but it must be an Indian curry, the most popular takeaway food in the UK. Over 200 years ago the first ‘curry house’ opened and it’s been a British food staple ever since and Indian cuisine has become a $5 billion a year industry.
London has more Indian restaurants than Mumbai and Delhi!
Wow. But one can’t just live on takeaway food, (well, my friends might beg to differ) because I prefer to make it myself so I know what ingredients I’m eating, so, this started my quest to find my own ‘takeaway’ recipe.Chicken tikka masala is the most popular Indian dish, but it’s not very waist friendly because it’s loaded with heavy cream. For this recipe I replaced the cream with milk and yogurt. This switch not only makes this Chicken Tikka Masala healthier, but is very easy to make and turns out delicious every time. I found my takeaway right in my own kitchen and the leftovers are even better!
Chicken Tikka Masala – Step by Step
Chicken breasts are marinated in yogurt and Indian spices.
While the chicken marinates, onions are softened in oil and cooked garlic, ginger and more Indian spices.
Tomato paste is added to the onions for the start of the rich tomato flavor.
Milk, tomato sauce and the chicken is then added and simmered to tender perfection.
If you’ve tried this Chicken Tikka Masala or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken tikka masala is a popular Indian dish that is so full of flavor, so easy to make and is better than take-out. Tender chicken is marinated in spices and yogurt, then cooked in a tomato sauce with spices for a classic Indian flavor.Prep Time 2 hoursCook Time 16 minutesTotal Time 2 hours 16 minutesServings 4 -6380 kcal
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into large cubes
- 5 ounces (2/3 cup) plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion cut into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-14 oz can tomato sauce (pureed canned tomatoes) (see note)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon fresh cilantro optional, chopped
- To a large bowl add the yogurt, garam masala, coriander and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix well.
- Mix in the raw chicken pieces to the yogurt, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours remove from the refrigerator.
- To a large saucepan add the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the grated ginger, garlic, cumin, fenugreek and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Stir the spices into the onions until well mixed and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a few seconds while stirring.
- Add the chicken and yogurt that has been marinating, stir.
- Add the milk and tomato sauce, mix well.
Simmer on low heat uncovered until sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked and tender, about 15 minutes. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish with cilantro with a side of naan bread.
This is not tomato ketchup (I know that in UK & Australia sauce is what you call ketchup). This is pureed tinned tomatoes with no herbs or spices added.Nutrition FactsChicken Tikka MasalaAmount Per Serving (1 cup)Calories 380 Calories from Fat 117% Daily Value*Total Fat 13g 20%Saturated Fat 6g 30%Cholesterol 152mg 51%Sodium 1087mg 45%Total Carbohydrates 9g 3%Protein 51g 102%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.