I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. Now that Christmas feasting is over, it’s time for New Year’s Eve party food. Who doesn’t love tomato soup and grilled cheese? Wow your party guests with this comfort food appetizer, tomato soup shooters with mini grilled cheese.
This appetizer can be prepared a few days in advance. I made the soup and kept it refrigerated for a couple of days and reheated when I was ready to serve and I think tastes better because the flavors develop.
The mini grilled cheese can be made in minutes. I used Jewish rye because I love the flavor of the rye with the sharp cheddar and soup. The best way to butter the bread for cooking them is melt the butter first, then you can brush the butter evenly on the bread.
I served the soup in a variety of different shaped shot and cordial glasses. This makes for a pretty presentation and the height differences give more dimension to your party table along with rosemary sun-dried tomato olives and a pear ginger champagne cocktail.
Tomato soup shooters with mini grilled cheese
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 8 medium basil leaves, chopped
- 1 24 ounce container tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 10 slices bread
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the basil, tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper to the pan and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or blender, blend until smooth. *see note
- Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a large sauté pan or grill pan over medium low heat.
- Butter the bread slices on 1 side.
- Lay them out, butter side down.
- Add an even layer of cheese.
- Put the other piece of bread on top, butter side up.
- Add the bread and cheese to the pan and cook until the cheese starts to melt and the bread is golden brown, turn and repeat.
- Cut off the crusts and cut the grilled cheese into triangles.
- Pour the tomato soup into shot glasses and top with the mini grilled cheese.
*If you are using a blender, blend in small batches to avoid the hot soup expanding and spilling out.