A triple grilled cheese is a grilled cheese with a twist. Two cheeses on the inside of the bread and one cheese on the outside. How cool is that? But you must be a cheese lover to enter this dark side…
You know when you make a grilled cheese and the cheese oozes out into the pan then it gets browned and crispy? It gets all nutty and good and you find yourself sneaking the good bits? This sandwich has THAT crispy, nutty cheese on the outside of the bread as well as all the amazing melty cheese inside and it’s oh so crispy. Have you ever had a parmesan crisp/frico? Grated parmesan is melted in a pan and it gets crispy and nutty.
I used a combination of sharp white cheddar and gruyere because they are 2 of my favorites and they make for a flavorful combination, but the ultimate choice is yours.
Don’t think that I’ve forgotten the best friend that goes with a grilled cheese sandwich. Earlier this week I made 30 minute tomato basil soup earlier this week. This soup is so easy and is made with fresh tomatoes to get the best flavor possible. Get the recipe here >> recipe.
Parmesan, gryuyere and cheddar. Two cheeses on the inside of the bread and one cheese on the outside for the tastiest, cheesiest grilled cheese.
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat a large, non-stick skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- Lay all the slices of bread out and spread the tops evenly with the butter.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
- Place 1 slice of bread into the pan butter-side down.
- Top with 1/4 cup gruyere and 1/4 cup cheddar, lay a slice of bread on top, and lightly spread butter on the top.
- Tent loosely with foil and cook for 2 minutes until the underside starts to brown.
- Flip the sandwich over and sprinkle 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese on the top. Tent with foil and cook for 2 minutes until the underside is browned then flip the sandwich.
- Sprinkle the top with 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, tent with foil and cook for 2 minutes until the underside is brown. Flip one last time and cook for 2 minutes until the underside is browned.
- Repeat with all sandwiches or you can try and fit as many into the pan at the same time if it is big enough.