Tomato Soup Shooters with Mini Grilled Cheese are fun appetizer that can be served at parties, for entertaining, baby showers or weddings. They’re comfort food in small bites.
I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. Now that Christmas feasting is over, it’s time for New Year’s Eve party food. Who doesn’t love tomato soup and grilled cheese? Wow your party guests with this comfort food appetizer.
This can all be prepared a few days in advance. I made the soup and kept it refrigerated for a couple of days and reheated when I was ready to serve and I think tastes better because the flavors develop.
The mini grilled cheese can be made in minutes. I used Jewish rye because I love the flavor of the rye with the sharp cheddar and soup. The best way to butter the bread for cooking them is melt the butter first, then you can brush the butter evenly on the bread.
I served the soup in a variety of different shaped shot and cordial glasses. This makes for a pretty presentation and the height differences give more dimension to your party table along with rosemary sun-dried tomato olives and a pear ginger champagne cocktail.
If you’ve tried this Tomato Soup Shooters with Mini Grilled Cheese or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 8 medium basil leaves, chopped
- 1 24 ounce container tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 10 slices bread
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the basil, tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper to the pan and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or blender, blend until smooth (blend in small batches as the hot soup can expand and overflow. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a large sauté pan or grill pan over medium low heat.
- Butter the bread slices on 1 side. Lay them out, butter side down. Add an even layer of cheese. Put the other piece of bread on top, butter side up.
- Add the bread and cheese to the pan and cook until the cheese starts to melt and the bread is golden brown, turn and repeat.
- Cut off the crusts and cut the grilled cheese into triangles.
- Pour the tomato soup into shot glasses and top with the mini grilled cheese.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 323 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 1208mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 12g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.