Patience is a virtue while making caramelized onions, but definitely worth the wait and these are worth waiting for because I put a twist on them.
It’s amazing what cooking low and slow does for onions. You end up with browned, sweet onions, but I added a little spice. Not heat spice, just 3 spices to add a subtle hint of extra flavor. Mild curry powder, ground coriander and ground cumin. You still get the sweet onion taste, but you also get a little spiced flavor on the backend.
You’ll be surprised how much the onions cook down, so my rule of thumb is 1 medium onion per serving. Allow the onions enough time between stirring to brown, don’t stir too often. Again, be patient, it will be worth the wait.
- 4 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium low heat.
- Add the onions and cook stirring every 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the curry powder, coriander and cumin, set aside.
- After 30 minutes and the onions start to soften, sprinkle them with the salt and curry mix, stir to combine.
- Allow to cook another 30 minutes until they are a nice dark brown.