Curry Caramelized Onions
Caramelized onions are an easy and delicious way to add amazing flavor to burgers, sandwiches and pizza, but these Curry Caramelized Onions take them to a whole new level.
Simple, yet loaded with deep flavor, these onions are slightly sweet with a mild, no-spice curry flavor. You’ll wonder how you ever lived without them.
In addition to the dishes mentioned, these caramelized onions are good on, and in just about any savory dish. My favorite is adding them to Indian dishes, like my Indian Aloo Gobi ( potatoes and cauliflower).
Uses for caramelized onions:
There are a few simple rules that help in making the best recipe possible:
- Butter is a must, as this helps them brown.
- Adding the salt at the beginning helps to draw out the moisture which allows the sugars in the onions to caramelized faster.
- Leaving the onions alone to allow them to brown in between tossing them.
- You can’t rush them, but you also don’t have to babysit the onions. As long as the heat is not too high, you can just visit them every 10 minutes to toss as they brown on the bottom.
- A large pan is a must ( mine is 12-inches/30 cm). It can be non-stick, cast iron or stainless.
- If the onions are too crowded and piled up, they will steam and not brown.
I use a mild curry powder. If you want to spice them up, use a spicy curry powder.
If you’ve made these Curry Caramelized Onions or any other recipe, leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers.