I never make regular hummus, because I can’t leave well enough alone as I always like to add other ingredients. This particular version is my favorite recipe for hummus because the sun dried tomatoes add a rich, tomato sweetness. I also add a roasted garlic clove that adds extra sweet garlic flavor, which is a departure from the sometimes overpowering flavor of raw garlic.
Sesame Pita Chips
The perfect dipper for the hummus are whole wheat sesame pita chips, which are so easy to make. They are toasty and nutty and for me, the only option as a vessel for this hummus. For extra nutty flavor, I use whole wheat pita.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Sun Dried Tomato & Roasted Garlic Hummus – Step by Step
Cut 1/4 inch off the top of a head of garlic. Wrap in foil drizzled with vegetable oil and salt. Roast for 30 minutes.
To a food processor add chickpeas, 3 roasted garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes and their oil, tahini, salt, pepper and fresh basil leaves. Turn on the processor and drizzle in the olive oil until smooth.
If you’ve tried this Sun Dried Tomato & Roasted Garlic Hummus or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Small pinch of salt
- 14 ounces chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup sesame tahini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 basil leaves
- 1/3 cup light flavor olive oil
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Cut ¼ inch of the top of the head of garlic just to expose the cloves.
- Lay a piece of foil flat (large enough to wrap the garlic) and set the garlic head in the center, cut side up. Drizzle with a vegetable oil and small pinch of salt.
- Wrap the garlic in the foil, place on a baking sheet and roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- When the garlic is done, remove from the oven, open the foil and allow to cool
- To a food processor add the chickpeas, 3 roasted garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes, sun-dried tomato oil, tahini, basil, salt and pepper. Pulse until everything starts to combine.
- While the processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil and blend until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add a little warm water. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with more oil and top with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 99 Saturated Fat: 2g Sodium: 415mg Carbohydrates: 4g Protein: 2g