Fresh Fig and Ricotta Dessert Tart
Fresh Fig and Ricotta Dessert Tart is delicious and easy use of fresh seasonal figs. Crispy puff pastry, topped with sweetened ricotta, fresh figs and rosemary makes this is a dessert perfect for the summer to fall transition.
I served this at a dinner party this weekend and there was not a bite of tart left. There’s not much preparation involved in this tart, the biggest part of the prep is the baking of the puff pastry.
To prepare for serving the dessert, I did as much prep ahead as possible. I baked the pastry and refrigerated it, mixed the ricotta with the honey, lemon zest and nutmeg which gives time for the flavors to develop. The only thing to do at the last minute is spread the ricotta onto the tart, slice the figs, add them to the tart, brush on the preserves and sprinkle the rosemary.
There are not many dessert recipes that can be kept for leftovers, but this is one that cannot. While recipe testing, my husband and I had 1 slice each and I refrigerated the rest in a sealed container. The next day, the moisture in the ricotta made the pastry soggy. So the lesson here is, eat it all and enjoy!
Delicious, seasonal flavors
I have never thought of adding rosemary to a dessert, but the earthy flavor of the figs led me to try it and the bright, fresh flavor really works as well as working with the lemon zest in the ricotta.
This tart has everything you want in a dessert. Crispy, creamy and not too sweet where all the flavor notes are hit. The creamy ricotta cuts through the sweetness of the figs and preserves then you get a hint of lemon and at the end the rosemary comes through for the perfect bite.
I love the finishing touch to this tart (in addition to the rosemary) and that is brushing the sliced figs with fig preserves. If you can’t find fig preserves, apricot jam is just as delicious. I would not use a marmalade as it is too chunky. This step adds a lovely, extra flavor to the figs and also keeps their lovely color and provides a barrier from the air.
Fresh Fig and Ricotta Dessert Tart – Step by Step
Roll a sheet of puff pastry to 11 x 14 inches/28 x 35 cm.
Wet the edges of the pastry and fold over 1/2 inch to create an edge.
Poke holes in the center of the pastry to prevent it from getting to puffed when baking.
Bake the puff pastry on a baking sheet for 15 minutes until golden and brown.
Cool the cooked puff pastry completely on a wire rack.
Mix ricotta with honey, lemon zest and fresh nutmeg.
Spread the ricotta mix all over the cooled puff pastry, leaving a border
Arrange the fig slices in a decorative pattern
Brush the fig slices with fig preserves
If you’ve tried this Fresh Fig and Ricotta Dessert Tart or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 7-10 fresh figs
- 3 tablespoon fig preserve or apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry onto a floured work surface to 11 x 14 inches/28 x 35 cm. Brush the edge with water and fold over ½ inch/1.2 cm all around.
- Prick the middle of the pastry with a fork all over. Transfer the pastry to the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to a bowl add the ricotta, honey, lemon zest and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside.
- Once the pastry is cooked, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, spread the ricotta mix in the center of the tart, leaving a border. Arrange the fig slices in a decorative pattern over the ricotta.
- Add the fig preserves or jam to a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 20 seconds until warmed and thinned, stir well.
- Brush the preserves all over the tart, including the pastry edges. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 104Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 10mgSodium 38mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 4g