Peanut butter and chocolate are one of the most delicious flavor combinations. Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava Cakes bring the two together for a delectable, molten lava, chocolate dessert.
I love to use the word lava when it comes to these cakes because that’s exactly what you get when you cut into the warm cake, a flow of molten peanut butter and chocolate lava. My mouth is watering as I type this.
Where this may look like an over indulgent dessert, this is surprisingly low in sugar. In addition, I used half the amount of butter I usually use and replaced it with healthier peanut oil.
Peanuts have a triple feature in this recipe, peanut oil, peanut butter and chopped peanuts so I don’t feel guilty when I need a little sweet fix once in a while.
These mini chocolate cakes with peanut butter filling, make for a fun dessert if you’re entertaining because they come with a wow factor when your guest cut into them. They can be prepared ahead and then only take 10 minutes to bake.
You do want to serve them a few minutes out of the oven, for that lava flow. It’s all about the lava. You may want to make 2 per person, just in case.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 ounces 70% dark chocolate
- 2 whole, large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees°F.
- Spray four, 5 ounce ramekins with non-stick spray. Dust with cocoa powder and tap over the sink to discard any excess. Place them on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Fill a pan with water and heat until low simmer. Set a heatproof bowl on top of the pan (make sure bowl does not touch water). Add the butter, peanut oil and chocolate to the bowl and stir until melted, turn off the heat.
- To a mixing bowl or stand mixer add the eggs, egg yolks and sugar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute then faster speed for 2 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Pour the melted butter and chocolate slowly into the egg mix while whisking. Add the flour and in small batches, whisking in-between additions, until well combined. Whisk in the espresso powder until blended.
- Fill a ramekin 1/3 full of chocolate mix, add a tablespoon of peanut butter on top, then cover with more chocolate mix. Repeat with all ramekins.
- Place all the ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes until the edges look cooked and the centers are sunken and look moist. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the ramekins.
- To remove from the mold, run a knife around the edge and turn onto a serving plate. Serve immediately with chopped peanuts.
Serving Size:1 cake
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 713 Total Fat: 50g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 26g Cholesterol: 124mg Sodium: 195mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 34g Protein: 15g