White chocolate rice pudding is a warm, comforting dessert that is befitting of the season with white chocolate, cranberries and pistachios. An easy dessert for feeding a crowd.
For the holidays and Christmas, I love the festive color and flavor combination of white chocolate, cranberry and pistachio. Along with the fruit and nuts, there’s real vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon which makes this a delicious, seasonal dessert that you can enjoy all winter long. To get the creamiest consistency possible, I like to cook the rice in the milk instead of water so the rice absorbs the milk and not water and that makes this an easy, one-pan dessert.
There seems to be a favorite theme for me, because I’ve previously make which chocolate & pistachio bark and white chocolate, pistachio & cranberry fudge, which are both delicious seasonal treats and also make great gifts. Also in keeping with the white chocolate theme, I have a delicious recipe for white hot chocolate that is a warm and comforting drink.
This white chocolate rice pudding is so easy to make and can be made ahead for your holiday dinner. Just refrigerate when it’s ready, then reheat in a heavy bottom pan. If it’s too thick, whisk in a little warm milk until it is the consistency you like.
I’ve created a video tutorial so you can see the recipe being made. Just press play!
White Chocolate Rice Pudding
Arborio rice is cooked in milk, sugar and vanilla for a creamy texture. White chocolate is stirred in for decadent dessert.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 ounces white chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted pistachios, chopped
- Add the milk, sugar and salt to a saucepan and heat over high heat.
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and using the tip of a knife, scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and and the bean to the milk.
- Grate in the nutmeg and add the rice. Whisk to break up any lumps of vanilla seeds.
- Bring the milk to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 20 minutes stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan and clumping together.
- Remove vanilla bean.and cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes until thickened, stir occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until melted.
- Serve warm garnished with dried cranberries and pistachios.