Potato and Vegetable Quiche
Potato and Vegetable Quiche is a colorful and delicious meal in itself. Sweet and purple potatoes are layered in with eggs, leeks, fennel and seasonings that is poured over a buttery, flaky crust and the top is adorned with an eye-catching potato display.
Spring (and summer) are just around the corner and I’ve created a vibrant and delicious quiche that is a perfect warmer weather dish. Served room temperature or cold, this quiche is perfectly portable so it’s great for those picnics, road trips and beach days when you need a light meal on-the-go.
For the quiche crust
This crust is my easy, go-to recipe that I have used in my Autumn harvest quiche and is the perfect base for any quiche. To bring flavor to the quiche, I added sweet fennel and leeks along with Parmesan cheese and a little nutmeg which is a lovely flavor enhancer to any egg dish.
Serve with a simple side salad, this dish makes a wonderful lunch or light dinner and great leftovers too for breakfast!
If you’ve tried this Potato and Vegetable Quiche or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
For the pastry
- 2 cups (300 grams) all purpose flour, plus 1/4 cup for rolling out pastry
- 8 ounces (226 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and kept cold until ready to use
- Small pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water * see note
For the filling
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
- Small pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ ounce fennel bulb, chopped small
- 2 ounces leek, white and light green part only, cleaned and chopped into small pieces
- 6 ounces (226 grams) purple potatoes sliced 1/8 inch thin
- 6 ounces (226 grams) orange sweet potatoes sliced 1/8 inch thin
- Preheat oven to 375° F/190°C.
For the pastry:
- To a make the pastry in a food processor add the flour and salt and butter. Pulse until you get the texture of fine breadcrumbs. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in enough cold water, you may not use it all, until it forms a ball and immediately stop.
- To make the pastry by hand: Add the flour, salt and butter to a large bowl. Using your fingertips (or a pastry cutter) rub the butter and flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Drizzle in the water and mix using a fork until the it starts to come together and holds together when pressed in your hand. You may not need all of the water.
- Remove the dough and knead a little on a floured board until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
For the filling
- Add the potato slices to a large pan of boiling water and cook for 2 minutes, drain and lay out onto a towel to dry.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and roll out onto a floured surface, 1-inch larger than the quiche pan.
- Roll the pastry over the rolling pin, lift and place into a 9-inch round tart pan pressing the bottom firmly and the sides allowing the pastry to hang over the sides, do not trim. Do not stretch dough or it will shrink in the oven.
- Poke holes all over the bottom of the pastry using a fork. Lay a sheet of parchment paper over the pastry and fill the center with dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, add the eggs, milk, nutmeg, cheese, salt, pepper, fennel and leek to a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Remove the crust from the oven, remove the parchment paper and beans. Trim the excess crust from over the edges to make it look pretty.
- Return the crust back to the oven, uncovered for 5 more minutes until it start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Arrange the potato slices inside the pastry, saving 40 slices for the top, and pour in the egg mixture so it comes almost to the top of the pastry edge. Arrange more potato slices on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Allow the quiche to sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 497Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 171mgSodium 466mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 12g