Grilled Herb and Lime Chicken is the perfect dish to get grilling season started. Thin chicken breasts are marinated in a herb sauce with extra sauce used for finishing the dish, so easy and delicious.
I love cooking with herbs because it’s a healthy way to incorporate a lot of fresh flavor into a dish and in this dish. The chicken is marinated for no more than 2 hours in the sauce. Anytime you have citrus in a marinade, it is best to not marinade any meat or fish for more than 2 hours because it can start to ‘cook’ the meat and the meat with turn weird.
Half of the marinade is used and the other half is reserved for serving. Basil, cilantro and rosemary make this a bright and fresh sauce with a little sweetness from good honey.
Practice food safety
Please do not ever use a marinade that has come in contact with raw meat, always discard after use.
As you’ve seen me do many times over the past 2 + years, I like to feature entire meals in my posts, like Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Skewers with Lemongrass Vegetable Noodle Salad. This gives you my readers, meal planning ideas and also makes for pretty and complete pictures so I’m not just posting a picture of one dish. On this occasion, I served the chicken alongside slow cooker carrots and crispy layered rosemary potatoes (recipe links below with the picture).
Choice of herbs
As you know, I like to give you options and there are those of you out there who just don’t like cilantro. No problem, use parsley instead. In fact, use any combination of herbs you like. I like mint and parsley, rosemary mint and parsley, whatever takes your fancy.
If you’ve tried these Grilled Herb and Lime Chicken or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 thick or 4 thin chicken breasts
- Small handful fresh cilantro
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- If using thick chicken breasts, cut them in half lengthwise to make 4 thin breasts.
- Add the cilantro, basil, rosemary, lime zest and juice, red wine vinegar, oil,honey salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the chicken breasts to a ziptop bag or bowl with a lid.
- Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the chicken and make sure they are coated well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- minutes before the chicken is ready remove from the fridge and preheat a stovetop or outdoor grill.
- Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with the rest of the sauce.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 273 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 391mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 12g Protein: 38g