Grilled Broccoli with Lemon
Grilled Broccoli with Lemon, simply seasoned and grilled for the easiest vegetable side dish.
Grilling any vegetable brings out its natural sweetness along with a slight smokiness and with the freshness from grilled lemon. For me it’s the best way to cook vegetables (roasting comes in a close 2nd).
I say it all the time, I love to take the cooking outside when it’s too warm to cook in the kitchen and this complete meal is just what I’m talking about.
This Grilled Broccoli with Lemon was the perfect side dish to serve with grilled shrimp with lemon dipping sauce (< click text for link) which is exactly how I like to eat in the warm evenings.
Cutting the broccoli
When one prepares broccoli for stir fry or steaming, cutting into small florets is what you need. It will not work for grilling. You want to pick the largest head of broccoli, then cut lengthwise so you get large ‘tree-like’ stalks. This way they wont fall through the grill. See pic below.
To drizzle over the grilled broccoli and to add a nice fresh finish, I grilled lemon halves. I’ve used grilled lemon quite a few times this past summer in grilled lemon basil vinaigrette salad dressing and grilled chicken and vegetable pasta. I love the sweetness grilling brings out in the lemon and also adds smokiness.
- 2 bunches broccoli, cut lengthwise
- 4 lemons, cut in half
- Canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill.
- Brush the broccoli stems both sides with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the broccoli about 5-7 minutes per side until nicely charred and the broccoli is tender.
- Grill the lemon, flesh side down for about 3-4 minutes until charred and caramelized.
- Serve the broccoli warm drizzled with the lemon juice.
Amount Per Serving Calories 63Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1067mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 1g