When I was asked by Heritage Distilling Company to sample their products I jumped at the chance. They have a wide variety of products and what caught my eye was their rye whiskey. We all know a classic mint julep, but this spin on a classic is made with peppery Heritage rye whiskey and basil instead of mint.
Fresh basil leaves and rye Whiskey served chilled over ice is the perfect warm weather cooling drink.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 large basil leaves
- 4 ounces Heritage rye whiskey
- 2 ounces water
- Crushed ice
- To a small saucepan add the water and sugar over medium heat.
- Heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring often. Remove and allow to cool. This is the simple syrup.
- To a cocktail shaker add the cooled simple syrup and 6 basil leaves.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, muddle (crush) the basil into the syrup.
- Add the rye whiskey and water,fill with ice and stir.
- Add the straining top to the shaker and strain into a short glass.
- Garnish with 2 basil leaves.