Zucchini and sweet potato soup might just be my most favorite soup. In addition to being easy to make, the soup has great flavor and sweetness from the sweet potato and the raw cashews make it hearty and thickness without adding cream.
This is my go-to easy soup when I want an easy dinner, or just a very tasty soup, this is it. Along with the sweetness of the potato, another ingredient that gives the soup an extra flavor boost is fresh basil that takes the flavor to a new level. A drizzle of basil oil at the end is a perfect complement to this. You can find that recipe here > basil oil recipe.
Zucchini and sweet potato soup
- 1 pound 4 medium, green zucchini cut into small chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 1 garlic clove grated or finely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup raw cashew nuts
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock plus more if need to thin the soup
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Basil oil for garnish optional
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper, sauté for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the shallot and sauté until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the potato, bay leaf, cashews, stock, basil and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the zucchini is softened.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- If you have an immersion blender, blend the soup in the pan. If not transfer in batches to a blender.
- Add more stock if the soup is too thick.
- Test for seasoning.
- Serve into bowls and drizzle with the basil oil.