The vegetablesZucchini can be a bland vegetable when used on it’s own. By adding the sweet potato this adds lovely sweetness as well as acting as a thickener. I used mild shallots instead of onions to tone down the flavor, but still get a little onion flavor in there, and of course, garlic is a must.
Cashew nuts as a thickener
I discovered this trick some time ago when I made vegan mushroom soup. When cashews are blended they can add a wonderful creaminess so you don’t have to add any dairy which makes this soup a lovely vegan dish.
If you’ve tried this Zucchini and Sweet Potato Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 pound zucchini cut into small chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup raw cashew nuts
- 4 cups vegetable stock, plus more if need to thin the soup
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Basil oil for garnish, optional
- To a large saucepan, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper, sauté for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the shallot and sauté until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the potato, bay leaf, cashews, stock, basil and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the zucchini is softened. Remove the bay leaf.
- If you have an immersion blender, blend the soup in the pan. If not transfer in batches to a blender. Add more stock if the soup is too thick. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve into bowls and drizzle with the basil oil.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 380 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 374mg Carbohydrates: 27g Protein: 12g