Cashew nut substitute
If you’ve tried this Vegan Mushroom Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms *see note
- 4 cups luke warm water
- 1 1/2 pounds of mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, chop, then wash in a bowl of water, drain on a paper towel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2/3 cup of raw cashews
- Vegetable stock, in case soup needs thinning
- In a large bowl, add the 4 cups of lukewarm water.
- Add the dried porcini mushrooms and allow to sit for 30 minutes to reconstitute. This will also be the mushroom stock for the soup.
- Using a sieve, drain the reconstituted porcini mushrooms. This is in case there is grit. Save the liquid to use later.
- Chop the reconstituted porcini mushrooms the same size as the other mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add all the mushrooms, including porcini, sauté until soft. Remove 1/3 of mushrooms and set aside to add to soup later.
- Add the leeks, salt and pepper.. Continue to sauté until leeks are soft. Add the garlic and rosemary, cook for 2 minutes. Add the cashews and mushroom stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- If you have an immersion blender, use this to blend the soup in the pan. If not, transfer 1/4 to a blender and blend until smooth, if it's too thick, add vegetable stock to get the consistency you like.
- Transfer to a bowl and continue with the rest of the soup.
- Put all the soup back into the soup pan, add the mushrooms that were set aside. Reheat and test for seasoning, add salt if needed. Serve.
*The 1oz of dried porcini mushrooms equals 4oz of fresh porcini mushrooms after reconstituting.
If you can find mushroom broth in the store, you can skip steps 1-4 and proceed from step 5.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 193 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 359mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 6g