If you’ve tried this Vegan Mushroom Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
Vegan mushroom soup
This vegan mushroom soup is so hearty and delicious and it's dairy free. With delicious flavors from rosemary and coriander, this soup is healthy, low calorie and just as satisfying and creamy.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms *see note
- 4 cups luke warm water
- 1 1/2 pounds of mixed mushrooms chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek chop, then wash in a bowl of water, drain on a paper towel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup of raw cashews
- Vegetable stock in case soup needs thinning
- In a large bowl, add the 4 cups of lukewarm water.
- Add the dried porcini mushrooms and allow to sit for 30 minutes to reconstitute. This will also be the mushroom stock for the soup.
- Using a sieve, drain the reconstituted porcini mushrooms. This is in case there is grit. Save the liquid to use later.
- Chop the reconstituted porcini mushrooms the same size as the other mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add all the mushrooms, including porcini, sauté until soft.
- Remove 1/3 of mushrooms and set aside to add to soup later.
- Add leeks, salt and pepper.. Continue to sauté until leeks are soft.
- Add the garlic, ground coriander, rosemary and bay leaf, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cashews and mushroom stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- If you have an immersion blender, use this to blend the soup in the pan. If not, transfer 1/4 to a blender and blend until smooth, if it's too thick, add vegetable stock to get the consistency you like.
- Transfer to a bowl and continue with the rest of the soup.
- Put all the soup back into the soup pan, add the mushrooms that were set aside.
- Reheat and test for seasoning. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve.
*The 1oz of dried porcini mushrooms equals 4oz of fresh porcini mushrooms after reconstituting.