Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup
This simple Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup is vibrant, hearty, gluten-free, dairy free and vegan, but certainly not lacking in flavor.
The vegetables are roasted for extra flavor and fresh ginger is added for extra health benefits.
This is an older recipe with updated pictures and video, and one of the best uses of leftover carrots (and chances are, you have some leftover from the holidays like me).
Now that you’re probably finished with your Christmas leftovers, maybe you are thinking about a diet reset or a detox for the New Year?
Well if you are thinking about a healthy eating plan, this is my contribution. Loaded with vitamins, beta carotene and antioxidants and along with the ginger, not only adds flavor, but is very good for digestion.
I do not add any milk or cream this recipe which makes it dairy-free and plant-based. If you want to, you can add a splash of any of your favorite unflavored milk at the end to make it richer. Coconut milk would be a delicious option too.
I love to garnish the soup with vegan sour cream and chives because they are just a delicious flavor combination.
Maximizing the flavor
This soup gets flavor from a couple of different techniques. Firstly, the homemade vegetable stock (< click text for recipe). I believe the best tasting stock/broth makes the best soup to add as much flavor to the soup as possible.
Secondly, roasting the vegetables gives huge flavor by browning and adding a lot of natural sweetness, especially the roasted garlic. I mean, who really likes boiled vegetables?
This soup is a great make ahead meal that freezes well. It also keeps refrigerated for up to 5 days so you have lunch or a light dinner for most of the week.
If you’ve made this or any other recipe, please leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 pound (454 grams) carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup (160 grams) yellow onion, cut half
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Small pinch white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups vegetable stock, recipe link
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons plant-based sour cream for garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Add the carrots, onion and garlic to a sheet pan/tray and spread out evenly.
Drizzle with vegetable oil and an even sprinkling of salt, white pepper and cumin, mix until coated. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes until tender.
To a large saucepan add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Add the carrots, onions, garlic squeezed out of its peel, ginger and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, or add to a blender in batches, blend soup until it is smooth and reaches the desired consistency, if it is too thick, add more stock.
- Check for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh chives and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving Calories 100Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 3mgSodium 1100mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 1g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.
More Soup Recipes: