The weather is just about the perfect temperature in most areas of the country. The trees are turning the most beautiful shades of red and orange and nothing is better than a steaming bowl of vegetarian bean soup (I’m very happy I got the steam in the pic below).
If you can, use dried beans because that’s what really makes this soup. They just have better texture and taste than canned beans, but for time sake and ease, canned will certainly do. Another ingredient that takes this soup to another level is my homemade vegetable stock. I like to use tomatoes in my stock which I think add sweetness, along with the parsnip and mushrooms add a real depth of flavor. But again for ease, you can use store bought.
The vegetables are an important part of this soup. I was lucky enough to find Tuscan kale in my supermarket, but whatever kale you can find will work fine. I like to make a double batch of this soup on the weekends so I have a quick and healthy lunch or dinner whenever I need it for the week and it freezes so well for future use.
If you’ve tried this Tuscan Bean Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight in cold water in the refrigerator
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head of Tuscan kale, ribs removed and chopped
- Strain the beans and set aside.
- To a large saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the onions until softened, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, carrots, celery, butternut squash, vegetable stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 40-45 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448 Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 198mg Carbohydrates: 72g Protein: 25g