What vegetables to put in minestrone soup?
Parmesan cheese rind
Add a leftover Parmesan cheese rind adds so much flavor to tomato sauces and soups. If you have one, I recommend adding it as the soup simmers (remove before serving). It wont melt too much, but it does as a delicious flavor that you just can’t replicate. It can add saltiness, so take this into consideration when salting the soup.
If you’ve tried this Autumn Minestrone Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 medium onion, 8 ounces, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 5 small or 2 large gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock , or vegetable stock if you prefer * see note
- 15 ounces cannellini beans
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan cheese rind *** see note, optional
- 1/2 cup Your favorite small pasta cooked
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook until it starts to brown. Add the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and sauté until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the grated garlic and rosemary, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn. Add the kale, potatoes and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the kale is wilted.
- Add the beef stock, beans and pepper, bring to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes until the potatoes and beans are tender. Add Parmesan rind if using.
- Taste for seasoning, if your stock is not salty stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste. Remove the Parmesan rind. Stir in the pasta.
- Serve hot with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*Most store bought beef stock is quite salty so taste and add a 1/2 teaspoon salt if needed.
**To add extra flavor, you can add a rind of parmesan cheese to the soup while it simmers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 379 Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 762mg Carbohydrates: 64g Protein: 19g