What vegetables to use in autumn minestrone soup?
Parmesan cheese rind
Add a leftover Parmesan cheese rind adds so much flavor to tomato sauces and soups. If you have one, I recommend adding it as the soup simmers (remove before serving). It wont melt too much, but it does as a delicious flavor that you just can’t replicate. It can add saltiness, so take this into consideration when salting the soup.
If you’ve tried this Autumn Minestrone Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 medium onion, 8 ounces, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 5 small or 2 large gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 15 ounces canned chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock , or vegetable stock if you prefer * see note
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan cheese rind *** see note, optional
- 15 ounces cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup your favorite small pasta cooked
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta and onions, cook until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.. Add the carrots, celery, garlic and rosemary. Stir and cook for 1 minute, don't allow the garlic to brown.
- Add the zucchini, kale, potatoes and chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until the kale is wilted.
- Add the beef stock, pepper and Parmesan rind. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste for seasoning, if your stock is not salty stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste. The rind will also add salt. Remove the Parmesan rind, stir in the beans and pasta.
- Serve hot with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*Most store bought beef stock is quite salty so taste and add a 1/2 teaspoon salt if needed.
**To add extra flavor, you can add a rind of parmesan cheese to the soup while it simmers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379 Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 762mg Carbohydrates: 64g Protein: 19g