- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots diced
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 sprig of rosemary 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- 1 cup of kale chopped
- 5 small or 2 large gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1-15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock or vegetable stock if you prefer * see note
- 15 ounces dried cannellini beans, soaked for at least 6 hours
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan cheese rind *** see note
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and sauté until the vegetables are softened.
Add the grated garlic and rosemary, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the kale, potatoes and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the kale is wilted.
- Add the beef stock, beans and pepper, bring to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes until the potatoes and beans are tender.
Taste for seasoning, if your stock is not salty stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste. Add your favorite cooked pasta.
- Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan cheese
*Most store bought beef stock is quite salty so taste and add a 1/2 teaspoon salt if needed.
**To add extra flavor, you can add a rind of parmesan cheese to the soup while it simmers.