Shrimp & Avocado Puff Pastry Shells are really easy to make. Perfect for holiday entertaining, they are just as delicious their impressive looks. If you’re looking for appetizers that are easy with that wow factor, you’ve come to the right place.
In Europe we call these vol-au-vents (pronounced vol-o-vonts). French for blown in the wind because of their lightness, these were always on the table when my parents entertained during the holidays. They are elegant for entertaining, but very easy to put together. With a little help from the grocery store using pre-made pastry shells, they can be filled with anything savory or even something sweet for a lovely dessert.
The filling could not be easier. I sautéed 2 pounds of shrimp (reserving 12 for garnish) and allowed them to cool. They are then added to a food processor with 1 avocado, mayonnaise, lemon, chives, cilantro salt and pepper and it’s processed until smooth. That’s it! The processor does all the work and you have a delicious pastry bite that your guests will think you bought them from a French bakery.
This recipe is also posted on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor.
- 12 pre-made, frozen puff pastry shells
- 2 pounds shrimp, 26-30 count, peeled, deveined and sautéed for 3 minutes per side
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 15 chives
- 1 cup fresh dill
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bake the pre-made pastry shells according to the package directions and allow to cool.
- Salt and pepper the shrimp.
- To a saute pan add the oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove onto a paper towel. Set 12 shrimp aside for garnish.
- To a food processor add the remaining 12 shrimp and pulse until they are broken up.
- Add the avocado, mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, chives, dill, cilantro, salt and pepper and pulse until smooth.
- Fill a piping bag with the filling and pipe into the cups.
- Top each with 1 cooked shrimp and small sprig of fresh dill.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 160mg Sodium: 940mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Protein: 18g