Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos
Cinco de Mayo is approaching and these taquitos (flautas) are so easy to make they are perfect for serving a crowd. Lay out a large platter with salsas, guacamole and some sides (suggestions below including a delicious margarita recipe) and let your guests go to town.
Traditional fried taquitos are made using corn tortillas. I have tried many times to make these with corn tortillas and as soon as they hit the warm oven, they break open. If you fry them they are fine because the oil moistens the tortilla, but dries out in the oven.
Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos – Step by Step
Taquitos are named for there size. Meaning, a 6-inch tortilla is traditionally used for taquito’s. If a larger tortilla is used, they are called Flautas and are made with wheat tortillas.
What I like to serve with taquitos is grilled salsa verde for dipping and of course guacamole, Esquites Mexican corn salad and of course a refreshing lemon-lime margarita (the names are all clickable links to the recipes).
If you’ve tried this Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you liked it in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
- 3 cups (375 grams) crockpot Mexican shredded chicken
- 4 ounces (125 grams) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Place a rack inside a baking sheet.
- Take a tortilla and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of shredded chicken on the lower 1/3 of the tortilla closest to you, spread evenly.
- Top the chicken with 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it cheesy).
- Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the tortilla tightly. Secure with a toothpick. Brush the outside with oil. Set on the rack on the baking sheet seam side down. Repeat until all the tortillas are used.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove toothpick before serving. (see note for freezing instructions)
To freeze, bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and cool completely. Transfer to freezer bags or well sealed containers. They will keep frozen for 2-3 months. To reheat, 400°F (205°C) for 10 minutes.
Serving Size3 taquitos
Amount Per Serving Calories 488Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 104mgSodium 964mgCarbohydrates 83gFiber 5gSugar 0gProtein 45g