Cinco de Mayo is approaching and these taquitos are so easy to make they are perfect for serving a crowd. Lay out a large platter with salsas, guacamole and some sides (suggestions below including a delicious margarita recipe) and let your guests go to town.
I’VE CREATED A VIDEO SO YOU CAN SEE THE RECIPE BEING MADE. JUST PRESS PLAY!
Tortillas: I have tried many times to make these with corn tortillas and as soon as they hit the warm oven, they break open. If you fry them they are fine, but this recipe is for baked taquitos, so I use flour tortillas which are much more forgiving.
Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos – Step by Step
Taquito Fact: Taquitos are named for there size. Meaning, a 6-inch tortilla is traditionally used for taquito’s. If a larger tortilla is used, they are called Flautas and are made with wheat tortillas.
Serving suggestion: What I like to serve with taquitos is grilled salsa verde for dipping and of course guacamole, Esquites Mexican corn salad (recipe soon) and of course a refreshing lemon-lime margarita (the names are all clickable links to the recipes).
If you’ve tried this Shredded Chicken Baked Taquitos or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAMand PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 12 flour tortillas
- 3 cups crockpot Mexican shredded chicken
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a rack in a baking sheet.
- Take a tortilla and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of shredded chicken on the lower 1/3 of the tortilla closest to you, spread evenly.
- Top the chicken with 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it cheesy).
- Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the tortilla tightly. Secure with a toothpick. Brush the outside with oil. Set on the rack on the baking sheet seam side down.
- Repeat until all the tortillas are used.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove toothpick before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 515 Saturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 793mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 18g