Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Dip
This Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Dip is full in flavor which comes from roasting the vegetables to bring out the natural sweetness for maximum flavor.
A very Mediterranean dish, inspired by baba ghanoush but without tahini. This is vegetarian and vegan with delicious spices, tomatoes, onion and garlic. This dip takes eggplant (aubergine if you are in the rest of the world) to a whole new level.
Roasting eggplant is one of the best ways to impart a ton of flavor into an otherwise bland vegetable. Best served with toasted pita chips which are pitas cut into triangles, brushed with oil and baked for 10-15 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
There’s a little preparation involved when cooking with eggplant. The recipe starts with sliced eggplant. The slices are sprinkled with salt and allowed to sit for about 15 minutes.
This does 2 things: this allows the extra moisture to be drawn out for better browning when roasting and will take out any bitterness in the eggplant. I also like to leave the skin on, so when they are processed you can see flecks of purple in the dip. This is a personal choice and you can peel them if you like.
The eggplant slices, quartered onions, garlic cloves are sprinkled with a delicious spice blend then roasted in a hot oven. I add the tomatoes in the last 10 minutes of cooking because they will get too mushy, we just want them to burst and soften.
Once the veggies are done roasting, allow them to cool for a few minutes so you can handle them, then into the food processor (or blender) they go. I pulse until they are slightly smooth but still have a little texture.
If you’ve made this Roasted Eggplant Dip or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 pounds (471 grams) eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces (225 grams) yellow onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Olive oil
- 8 ounces (239 grams) cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Spread the eggplant slices onto a large baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and leave for 15 minutes to draw out excess liquid. Pat the slices dry.
- To a small bowl combine the 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, chili powder, coriander and cumin. Set aside.
- Dry the eggplant. Add the onions and garlic to the baking sheet with the eggplant in an even layer. Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the vegetables, reserving a small sprinkle for later when you add the tomatoes. Mix well using your hands. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with oil and remaining spice mix and add to the eggplant on the baking sheet.. Continue to roast for 10 minutes longer, just until the tomatoes soften. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add all the vegetables to a food processor or blender and pulse until almost smooth but still slightly chunky.
- Serve with baked pita chips, crackers or toasted bread.
Amount Per Serving Calories 167Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1093mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 9gSugar 15gProtein 5g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.