There’s a little preparation involved when cooking with eggplant, not much but it is worth it. The recipe starts with sliced eggplant. The slices are sprinkled with salt and allowed to sit for about 15 minutes. This does 2 things: this allows the extra moisture to be drawn out for better browning when roasting and will take out any bitterness in the eggplant. I also like to leave the skin on, so when they are processed you can see flecks of purple in the dip. This is a personal choice and you can peel them if you like.
The eggplant slices, quartered onions, garlic cloves are sprinkled with a curry spice blend then roasted in a hot oven. I add the tomatoes in the last 10 minutes of cooking because they will get too mushy, we just want them to burst and soften.
- 1 medium or 2 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Olive oil
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Spread the eggplant slices onto baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and leave for 15 minutes to draw out excess liquid.
- Pat the slices dry.
- To a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, curry and cumin. Set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the baking sheet with the eggplant in an even layer.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the vegetables.
- Mix well using your hands.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with oil and add to the eggplant on the baking sheets.
- Continue to roast for 10 minutes longer, just until the tomatoes soften.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add all the vegetables to a food processor and pulse until almost smooth but still slightly chunky.
- Serve with baked pita chips, crackers or toasted bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 56 Sodium: 1181mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 2g