The eggplant is grilled instead of breaded and fried. It is then rolled up with homemade ricotta, fresh basil, Parmesan, fresh lemon and a hint of nutmeg. These eggplant rollatini make great appetizers or an entreé served with your favorite tomato sauce.
Last week I made homemade ricotta (recipe link below). This is the second recipe using the ricotta, the first one was asparagus, ricotta and mint tartlets. Both very Spring-like with fresh, bright flavors of fresh lemon, basil and mint as well as seasonal vegetables.
If you’ve tried this Grilled Eggplant Rollatini or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 3 eggplants, slices lengthwise to yield 12 slices
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (194 grams) homemade ricotta
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup (68 grams) Parmesan cheese, grated plus more for topping
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 30 runs across a grater
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Marinara sauce
- Lay the eggplant slices onto a towel. Sprinkle evenly with salt and allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- Preheat an indoor grill pan or outdoor barbecue.
- Dry the eggplant slices and brush with olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the eggplant slices for about 5 minutes per side until cooked with grill marks. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To a mixing bowl add the ricotta, basil, Parmesan, lemon zest and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/176°C.
- To a casserole dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce.
- Lay the eggplant slices out on a work surface and add 6 tablespoons of ricotta mixture to the end closest to you. Roll the ricotta into the eggplant and set in the casserole dish, seam-side down. Repeat with all slices, line them up in a single layer. Top with more marinara sauce and grated Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serving Size:3 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 598mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 16g