Roasted Beet Salad using red and gold beets, is dressed simply with a red wine vinaigrette and is perfect as a side salad to pasta, pizza or even a light lunch. It’s easy to make, can be prepared ahead and assembled in minutes.
If you’re a beet fan like I am, then this roasted beet salad is for you because here’s nothing better than roasted beets. They take on so much flavor, they’re earthy and slightly nutty which is why this salad works. Toasted pecans perfectly complement the nuttiness of the beets with a slightly peppery bite from the arugula and then the creamy tang of the Asiago cheese, all the flavors just work so well together.
I like to roast the beets then keep them refrigerated until I make the salad. The dressing can also be made ahead and so the salad comes together in minutes. The lemon dressing is bright, very light and fresh tasting with a little acidity from the lemon and vinegar which is balanced out with a slight sweetness from honey or agave. The salad is finished with shaved Asiago cheese. I like Asiago because of it’s mild flavor, but you can use any cheese you prefer.
This salad not only looks striking and colorful, it looks gourmet and is good enough to serve at a dinner party to your most discerning guests. My grocery store stocks both gold and red beets and I like to make both just for the look, but if you can’t find gold beets, using all red beets is just as good.
May also happens to be salad month, so go ahead, treat yourself to a delicious salad. Not only are they enjoyable, they’re also good for you and the possibilities are endless when it comes to building a good salad.
If you’ve tried this Roasted Beet Salad or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAMand PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 2 pounds red and gold beets, trimmed of the greens, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Small pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces pecan halves, unsalted
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 ounces Asiago cheese, shaved with potato peeler * see note
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take a large piece of foil and place beets in the center.
- Drizzle with the tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Wrap up well and tight in the foil.
- Roast for 45 minutes until tender. They should have no resistance when a knife is inserted.
- Allow the beets to cool in the open foil packets.
- To a small mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, red wine vinegar and honey or agave.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until emulsified.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Add the pecans to a small sauté pan over medium low heat.
- Toast until you start to smell the pecans, turning often until toasted. Set aside and allow to cool.
- They should peel easily, by using a paper towel to 'wipe' the skin off.
- Slice into wedges.
- Arrange on a plate, sprinkle with arugula, pecans and slices of cheese.
- Drizzle with the dressing and freshly ground pepper.
You can use any cheese you prefer or leave it out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 27g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 512mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 13g Protein: 10g