It is actually Sunday lunch rather than dinner
Key tips for roasting the beef
There are a few key tips when roasting beef. Letting the beef sit at room temperature before roasting ensures a more tender meat. I like to sear the beef on all sides before putting it in the oven to get a nice browning on the outside.
The side dishes
Yorkshire Pudding is a must as are simple roasted potatoes (recipe included). The vegetable is entirely up to you. I like roasted carrots but broccoli, peas or any of your favorite vegetable can be served. Don’t forget the gravy! It’s made in the pan that the beef is roasted in.
What are the ideal cooking times for roast beef?
At 400°F, roast for 15-20 minutes per pound.
Beef temperature roasting temperatures:
- Rare 120-125 degrees, bright red center
- Medium rare 130-135 degrees, very pink center
- Medium, 140-145 degrees, pink center
- Medium well, 150-155 degrees, light pink center
- Well done, 160 + degrees, brown throughout
If you’ve tried this Roast Beef Dinner (Sunday Roast) or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 3 pounds (1.4kg) beef rump or round roast , see note
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 6 to 8 yellow or gold potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (709ml) beef broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Coat the beef well with the oil. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and rosemary evenly all over.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet on the stove top over medium high heat. Sear the beef on all sides. Transfer the beef in the pan to the oven and roast the beef 15 minutes per pound for rare and 20 per pound for medium. ** see note
- When the beef is done, remove from the roasting pan onto a platter and cover with foil and allow to rest on a cutting board.
- Add the potatoes to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with vegetable oil, salt and pepper and coat well. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the roasting pan used for the beef, cut-side down and roast in the oven with the beef for 30 minutes until golden brown and tender when a knife is inserted.
- Add beef roasting pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until they are softened. Stir in the flour and cook until it starts to turn brown. Whisk in the beef stock until the flour is incorporated. Simmer until thickened, season with salt and pepper. You can strain the gravy if you wish to remove the onions.
*Take the meat out of the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
** Internal cooking temperatures:
Rare 120-125 degrees, bright red center
Medium rare 130-135 degrees, very pink center
Medium, 140-145 degrees, light pink center
Medium well, 150-155 degrees, no pink
Well done, 160 + degrees, brown throughout
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 707 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 234mg Sodium: 318mg Carbohydrates: 33g Protein: 87g