Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce
Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce is a recipe that we should all have on hand. If a sauce is this easy to make, there’s no need to buy it. Make a big batch and you can keep it in the freezer for months.
If you have a container of good marinara sauce in your fridge or freezer and pasta in the pantry, you have dinner.
What I love about marinara sauce is that is not limited to just mixing with pasta. I use it as the sauce for my stuffed mini meatballs and grilled eggplant rollatini and also to top my Italian style meatloaf.
Makes the perfect pizza sauce
For those family pizza nights, how about having homemade pizza sauce on hand? You will because you have this sauce in the freezer. This sauce can also used as a dip for these mini ham and cheese calzone and fried ravioli (they are so good, I need to write a recipe for those). So as you can see, the uses are endless.
The recipes yields 6 cups/1.5 quarts of sauce but making a double or triple batch is just as easy. Chances are, you probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen right now.
If you’ve tried this Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium (8 ounces) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2- 28 ounce cans whole or crushed tomatoes
- Small pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 basil leaves, roughly torn
- To a heavy saucepan add the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to soften, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic, stirring and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes (if using whole, crush with hands as you add to the pan), red pepper flakes, salt, bay leaf, and basil. Cover partially with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning add more salt if needed.
If you like the sauce smoother, you can puree it a little. Don't over blend.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 44Sodium: 291mg