Easy Chicken Meatballs are a delicious and lighter option for those days when you’re craving an alternative to the classic Italian beef meatball. With flavors from pancetta onions, garlic, Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, they also just happen to be gluten free!
I love a good beefy meatball, I even love them stuffed with cheese like my cheese stuffed mini meatballs recipe, but I also like to mix-it-up and enjoy these lighter, chicken meatballs. If you are one of those people who can’t tolerate beef, say hello to your new little meatball friends.
When I first wrote this recipe, it was not easy to find ground chicken in the grocery store, so I would grind it up in my food processor and they would turn out great. If you can’t find ground chicken try this method but don’t over-mix or the meat will be slimy and gummy. A few pulses will do.
How to make these Easy Chicken Meatballs in 4 easy steps:
If you’ve tried these Easy Chicken Meatballs or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAMand PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 4 ounces yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Small pinch of salt, (there is salt in the Parmesan)
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To a sauté pan add the oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta and onions and cook until the onions start to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, cook for 1 minute. Transfer the onion mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- To a large bowl add the ground chicken, Parmesan, basil, cooled onion pancetta mix, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until all the ingredients are combined, don't over mix.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the meat into your hand and roll into a ball, place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all the meat is used (see note for freezing from this point).
- Bake the meatballs for 25 minutes or until browned. Do not overcook.
- This recipe yields about 12-14 meatballs depending on the size
- To freeze uncooked meatballs, line them up on a small baking sheet without touching, make room in the freezer and freeze for 2 hours. This makes it easy to transfer them to a ziptop bag for long-term freezer storage and they won't stick together.
- The recipe calls for a small pinch of salt as the Parmesan contains salt
Serving Size:3 meatballs
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 421 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 144mg Sodium: 327mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 31g