Juicy and very flavorful, this chipotle chicken burger is made from ground chicken, finely chopped onion, red pepper, cilantro with a little kick from chipotles in adobo. Prepare for a tastefest because this will satisfy any burger craving.
I’m a big fan of chicken and turkey burgers. I like beef too, but sometimes I like something on the lighter side. Because chicken has very little flavor, so I’ve incorporated all the flavor in with the chicken meat. Just 4 ingredients (excluding the salt and pepper) are are all that is needed to turn this into one tasty burger. It may even be the big kahuna of chicken burgers.
When forming the patties, you’ll find that the mixture is sticky and moist, don’t worry, that’s what you want because they stay nice and moist and don’t dry out. As long as you set it in the pan (or grill) and don’t move it, it will not fall apart on you. You must wait the 6 minutes before turning the burger, and if it sticks, it’s not ready to turn.
Let’s talk about the spice level. I used 2 chipotles (they are smoked jalapeños) and removed the seeds along with a teaspoon of the adobo sauce. It has a spicy kick but not too much that you can’t enjoy the flavors. If you like it spicier, add more.
Purely for recipe testing only I did take a bite, which led to many. OK, I ate it all (and maybe a couple of fries). Someone has to test the taste and quality of the food. It’s the perks of the job.
- 1 1/4 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 peppers from a can of chipotle in adobo finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced cheddar cheese or cheese of your choosing
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- To a large mixing bowl add the ground chicken, onion, bell pepper cilantro,chipotles, adobo sauce, salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to carefully mix until well incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Divide the mix into 4 equal portions and form into patties.
- Place the patties onto the grill pan and don't move for 6 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 6 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to low and top the burgers with the cheese.
- Lightly cover the burgers with foil until the cheese melts.
- Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite toppings and condiments.