Caramelized Red Pepper & Onion Burger
There’s nothing better than a really good burger and the key to a flavorful burger is adding flavor to the meat. Caramelized Red Pepper & Onion Burger has caramelized red peppers and onions cooked right into the burger meat itself.
Burgers are a very versatile meal; the ground beef is a blank canvas for just about anything you want to add to it and the more you add the more flavorful the burger. There are just 4 ingredients in this burger: ground beef, caramelized red peppers and onions and Worcestershire sauce.
When portioning the burgers, you get 4 patties per pound of beef. When you are done mixing the ingredients divide the meat evenly into quarters (that way all the patties will be the same size).
Salt the meat after the patty is formed because when the salt is mixed with the beef the salt can break down the muscle protein and the burger will loose moisture. Another great burger tip is make the patties thinner at the center and thicker on the edges.
Because burgers typically tend to swell up in the center when they cook, this ensures that the burger stays flat and the toppings won’t be balancing on the top.
Don’t forget to toast the inside of your buns, crispy buns make for an all-round better burger. I like to toast them under the broiler or directly on the grill.
If you like to top your burger with cheese (hey, who doesn’t?), cook the burger so the cheese melts. What? Well, there’s nothing worse than eating a burger with unmelted cheese, I’ve seen it and been served this in restaurants.
A great way to melt the cheese fast when cooking the burgers in a pan is tent the burgers with foil. This creates heat and steam and the cheese will melt easily.
When I don’t have an outdoor grill available, I like to cook my burgers in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. This way you can get the pan nice and hot and it makes the burgers restaurant-style by acting like the flat top griddle to get a nice crispy sear on the outside.
Don’t forget the French fries and onion rings!
More Burger Ideas:
If you’ve made this Caramelized Red Pepper & Onion Burger or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound (453 grams) ground beef chuck
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: Your favorite cheese, sliced tomato, lettuce
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and butter. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring often until softened and golden brown, about 30 minutes Add the Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Cook until Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl add the ground beef. Add the cooled peppers, onions, Worcestershire sauce, ground pepper. Mix well and portion into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Make them thicker at the edges.
- Salt the patties after they are formed and let sit for 10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until it just starts to smoke. Cook the patty for 4 minutes for medium well and turn once.
- Cook for 3 minutes. *see note
- If you are adding cheese, add the sliced cheese now and tent with foil so the cheese melts. Cook for a further 1 minute until the cheese is melted. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite toppings.
* For medium rare 2 minutes each side, for medium 3 minutes each side, for medium well 4 minutes each side.
Serving Size1 burger
Amount Per Serving Calories 328Saturated Fat 10gCholesterol 83mgSodium 253mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 20g