Caramelized Onion, Apple and Bacon Flatbread Pizza
- For the dough
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more for dusting the board
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water, plus more if needed
- For the toppings
- 4 slices bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter, unsalted
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 medium red apple, cut into bite size pieces
- Italian parsley, optional, finely chopped
- For the dough
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt, and baking powder, mix well.
- Add the olive oil and mix.
- Add the water and mix until the dough comes together, either using your hands or a wooden spoon.
- If the dough is too dry and more water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- For the toppings (while the dough is resting)
- To a sauté pan over medium heat add the olive oil.
- Cook the bacon until just browned and crispy, drain onto a paper towel. Set aside.
- Reserve the oil, and return the pan to the heat and lower to medium low.
- Add the butter to the pan, then add the onions.
- Cook the onions until they start to brown, about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and stir.
- Add the apples to the onions and continue to cook until the apples soften. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge about 10 minutes before using to allow to come to room temperature. Do this while the oven is preheating.
- To a large cutting board or countertop dust with flour.
- Roll out the dough to your desired shape, I like oblong.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough onto the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the toppings, sliced cheese, onions, apples and bacon.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Top with chopped Italian parsley (optional).
- Slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 373Saturated Fat 7gCholesterol 35mgSodium 651mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 12g