There’s something so comforting about starting the day enjoying a fresh fruit muffin with your tea or coffee. These blueberry orange upside down muffins are tasty from the top to the fruit bottom. With fresh orange juice and zest all the way through to a special treat at the bottom of fresh blueberries.
Orange and blueberries are a delicious flavor combination. I was inspired by my salted caramel upside down cake when I made these muffins. What I realized with these muffins is that the blueberries like to bubble up through the dough and come through the surface. It didn’t happen on all of them, but if it happens to you, don’t worry, it just makes them more homemade looking. Even though it does give away the surprise on the bottom.
Fresh blueberries are placed in the bottom of the muffin cups with fresh orange zest, then the muffin mixed is poured over and baked. They really couldn’t be easier and now you have a delicious breakfast for every day of the week and into the next.
- 3 ounces fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Make sure your oven rack is in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Add muffin liners to a 12-muffin tin.
- Arrange blueberries in the bottom of each muffin cup in a single layer and top with 1 teaspoon grated orange zest. Set aside.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to a mixing bowl.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine sugar, orange juice, egg, oil and 1 teaspoon orange zest, beat until blended.
- Add the wet mixture to flour mixture in 3 batches stir until moistened between each addition.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin tins for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 206 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 148mg Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 18g Protein: 2g