Winter Squash Salad
Winter Squash Salad is perfect for the cool weather and could even make a delicious holiday side dish. Warm roasted butternut squash with apples, blue cheese, candied pecans all dressed in an orange vinaigrette.
There’s no reason not to eat a salad in the winter, especially when its a veggie loaded warm salad.
Since we are deep into the holiday season, I love that you can incorporate the flavors of the season into a salad. Butternut squash roasted with salt and pepper. Maple glazed pecans, blue cheese, sweet honey crisp apple over fresh spinach, dressed with a light, bright orange vinaigrette. When winter and summer collide, you get this delicious salad.
I must warn you in advance, it will take all your strength not snack on these sweet crunchy nutty bites of perfection while you are assembling this salad. I had to quickly snap this photo before I ruined the shot because there was pecans missing.
How do you roast squash for salad?
Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Cut the squash into 1/4-inch slices (no need to peel, it’s easier to peel after roasting). Brush the slices with olive oil, salt, pepper and dried sage. Roast for 25 minutes.
Roasting butternut squash really is the best and only way to cook this beautiful vegetable to bring out it’s natural sweetness so it doesn’t need much seasoning at all. Just olive oil, salt, pepper and dried sage.
It is not easy to peel butternut squash when it is uncooked, so I leave the skin on and once roasted, the skin comes off very easily.
If you’ve made this Winter Squash Salad or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces toasted or glazed pecans
- 1 1/2 pound butternut squash
- Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 large honey crisp apples, sliced
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- To a small mixing bowl add the orange juice, orange zest, vinegar, salt, pepper and honey. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil until mixed. Set aside.
- Cut the butternut squash into 1/4-inch thick slices, cut the slices in half and take out the seeds. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Mix the salt, pepper and dried sage together and sprinkle over the butternut squash. Use your hands to rub, making sure both sides are covered.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the spinach and drizzle with the vinaigrette, toss to coat.
- Serve the spinach topped with the butternut squash, pecans, sliced apple and crumbled blue cheese.
- Drizzle more vinaigrette if needed.
Amount Per Serving Calories 377Saturated Fat 3gCholesterol 3mgSodium 399mgCarbohydrates 38gProtein 4g