Whole Wheat Pancakes
These healthy, Whole Wheat Pancakes are light, fluffy and taste so good you can eat them on their own, but they are much better with syrup and fruit.
Not the usual dense and heavy whole wheat pancakes that we’ve all tried. These pancakes are light and fluffy and are better for you.
When whole wheat flour is used, pancakes tend to be heavy and dense. To keep them light and fluffy, a mix of all-purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder are added to the batter.
I also like to add healthy sweetener and flavor to the batter. Honey and vanilla extract make them so good, you could eat them with no syrup (but who wants to do that?)
These pancakes are a great way to get extra fiber and nutrients into your kids. They wont even know how healthy they are because they taste so good. Want to get the kids really excited?
Throw some chocolate chips in the batter, the kids will have you making these pancakes every weekend.
For a complete, healthy breakfast, Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt is a delicious option that can be made ahead and taken with you on-the-go.
More Breakfast Ideas:
If you’ve made these Whole Wheat Pancakes or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 3/4 cup (96 grams) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (96 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons honey
- To a mixing bowl blend the flours, baking soda and baking powder, mix well.
- To a separate bowl whisk the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and add the wet ingredients whisking to slowly incorporate the dry into the liquid
- Add the honey and just until mixed, batter will be thick. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before using. (This will ensure fluffy pancakes after allowing the gluten to rest).
- Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Pour 1/3 cup measure of batter onto pan.
- Cook until bubbles start to form and the top is no longer shiny, 2-3 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
Serving Size2 pancakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 122Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 49mgSodium 312mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 5g