Not the usual dense and heavy whole wheat pancakes that we’ve all tried. These healthy whole wheat pancakes are light, fluffy and taste so good you can eat them on their own, but are much better with syrup and fruit.
I think most of us love pancakes, am I right? But some of us can’t tolerate the milk used in the mix. Do you suffer from tummy upsets after drinking milk? My husband has this problem and when I told him that he can enjoy milk again (he really misses a bowl of cereal) without symptoms he was skeptical and excited. He has tried all the other milk replacement products, but didn’t like the taste and wasn’t happy about drinking chemically processed milk. The problem lies in the A1 protein. All milk used to contain only the A2 protein and over time a genetic mutation occurred in cows and a new type of protein developed called A1. This A1 protein causes digestive discomfort and is in all cows’ milk in-stores today, even organic milk. The a2 Milk Company™ is here with a milk that is tolerable, the way nature intended.
These pancakes are healthy and instead of using full fat milk, I used 2% milk and in place of added sugar, I sweetened the batter with honey. Some whole wheat pancakes can be heavy and tasteless, these are none of those things. The added leavening agents of baking soda and baking powder, helps give them a little rise and makes them light.
Want to know more about a2 Milk®? Here are a few health & nutrition facts about a2 Milk®:
- All other forms of mammal’s milk (i.e. goat, sheep, human) only contain the A2-type proteins.
- An independent study showed 1 in 4 Americans have discomfort after drinking milk; yet only 3- 4% of the population has been clinically diagnosed with a lactose intolerance medical condition.
- a2 Milk® contains approx. 6x the amount of calcium as soy beverages, approx. 8x the protein of almond beverages and approx. 6x the potassium levels of rice beverages.
a2 Milk® is the only fluid milk in the US market that is guaranteed 100% A1 protein free! This is great news for all you A1 protein intolerant suffers, you can enjoy milk again. REAL MILK. Where do I find this amazing milk you ask? a2 Milk® can be purchased from one of the stores provided on this Product Locator.
Before you head out to the store, make sure you print out this a2 Milk® $1 Off Coupon.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons honey
- To a mixing bowl blend the flours, baking soda and baking powder, mix well.
- To a separate bowl whisk the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and add the wet ingredients whisking to slowly incorporate the dry into the liquid
- Add the honey and just until mixed, batter will be thick. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before using. (This will ensure fluffy pancakes after allowing the gluten to rest).
- Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Pour 1/3 cup measure of batter onto pan.
- Cook until bubbles start to form and the top is no longer shiny, 2-3 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.