Fruit on the bottom yogurt is quick to make and can be made ahead of time so you’ll have a quick and healthy breakfast on hand all week long. This delicious taste sensation is made in jars so you can take them on-the-go too.
I made a delicious discovery this week. I now have my new breakfast and it couldn’t be easier! I’ve found this healthy treat to be the perfect spring & summer breakfast, snack, lunch or as a chilled delight to enjoy whenever.
My breakfast lately has been Ezekiel toast topped with homemade almond butter and sliced bananas. Where that is a nicely rounded breakfast (healthy carbs, protein and fruit), I got so bored with it and needed to change it up. This fruit on the bottom yogurt also doubles up as a post-workout snack for me. Also, the days I’m out of the house I like to bring a jar of it with me so I have a healthy, filling snack or lunch.
Fresh blueberries are added to a saucepan with honey and a little water and cooked for a few minutes. The ‘sauce’ is then thickened with cornstarch, poured into the bottom of sealable jars and refrigerated until set. Plain yogurt is sweetened with honey and poured over the top and any toppings you like. I chose toasted sliced almonds and sweet fresh raspberries. There’s no reason not to eat a healthy, filling breakfast now, is there?
- 4 cups/24 ounces plain Greek or regular yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups blueberries, or any berry you like, larger berries should be cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted * see note
- 4 fresh raspberries
- Add the yogurt and 1 1/2 tablespoons honey to a mixing bow. Mix well until combined. Refrigerate.
- To a small saucepan add the blueberries, 3 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons water and heat over medium low heat.
- To a small mixing bowl add the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water and mix until dissolved.
- Bring the blueberries to a simmer, you'll see them start to break down.
- Stir in the corn starch mix and cook until thickened, then turn off the heat.
- Transfer to jars and refrigerate until cooled and set.
- Pour the yogurt over the cooled fruit.
- Serve chilled with the toasted almonds and raspberries.
* To toast the almonds, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almond in an even layer onto a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Watch them because they will burn quickly.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 265 Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 74mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 24g Protein: 23g