Warm Buffalo Chicken Salad
Warm buffalo chicken salad is the perfect cold weather salad. Chicken breast cooked in a buffalo sauce with celery and served with blue cheese crumbles, avocado, red pepper and blue cheese dressing.
Even when the weather is cold I still crave a salad but I don’t want to eat an entirely cold meal. To curb this craving I make a warm salad. If you like hot sauce, chances are you like anything buffalo (I know I do). This salad has all the components and flavors you come to expect when eating buffalo chicken. Celery, hot sauce, blue cheese and blue cheese dressing with some bonus items of avocado and red bell pepper.
To get as much flavor into the chicken as possible, the chicken breasts are pounded thin and cooked in butter and hot sauce along with celery.. If your grocery store sells already thin cut chicken breasts, then you are ahead of the game. This is my no means a healthy salad, is any buffalo dish? But you can’t beat the flavor combination of the hot sauce and blue cheese dressing. It is one of the delicious flavor combinations I have grown to love since I moved the U.S.
This salad can also be made ahead or make great leftovers. For instance, I had a pack of four chicken breasts, but I was only making this for my husband and myself. I cooked all the chicken breasts and stored the leftover pieces along with the celery and sauce in a tupperware and assembled two more salads the next day.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups celery, 8 ounces, sliced
- 1 cup Franks red hot sauce
- 4 heads of romaine chopped, 8 ounces each
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 avocados, sliced or cut into chunks
- 4 ounces blue cheese dressing
- 3 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- Lay the chicken breasts on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and pound with a small frying pan, rolling pin or mallet until a little thicker than ¼ inch.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts.
- To a large sauté pan add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- When the butter melts and start to bubble, add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side, remove and set aside.
- To the same pan add 1 tablespoon of butter and melt.
- When the butter bubbles, add the celery and stir to coat with the butter, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot sauce and stir to mix. Add the chicken and coat with the celery and sauce. Cook for 3 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, add the romaine, peppers and avocado to a large bowl. Toss with the salad dressing. You can add more dressing depending how you like it.
- Turn off the heat under the chicken and transfer from the pan onto a cutting board and leave to rest for 2 minutes.
- Add the lettuce to plates or shallow bowls.
- Slice the chicken and place over the lettuce, top with sauce and celery, blue cheese crumbles and more dressing if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 499Saturated Fat 12gCholesterol 112mgSodium 2319mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 8gSugar 3gProtein 31g