Warm Buffalo Chicken Salad
Warm Buffalo Salad can be enjoyed all year round. Chicken breast is cooked in a buffalo sauce with celery and served with blue cheese crumbles, avocado, red pepper and blue cheese dressing.
I eat a lot of salads when the weather is warm, but even when the weather is cold I still crave a salad but I don’t want to eat an entirely cold meal. To curb this craving I make a warm salad.
If you like hot sauce, chances are you like anything buffalo (I know I do). You should also try my Buffalo Rosemary Chicken Skewers which are so good cooked on the grill. Picture above.
This Warm Buffalo Chicken Salad has all the components and flavors you come to expect when eating buffalo chicken. Celery, hot sauce, blue cheese and blue cheese dressing with some bonus items of avocado and red bell pepper.
To get as much flavor into the chicken as possible, the chicken breasts are pounded thin and cooked in butter and hot sauce along with celery.
If your grocery store sells already thin cut chicken breasts, then you are ahead of the game. This is my no means a healthy salad, is any buffalo dish? But you can’t beat the flavor combination of the hot sauce and blue cheese dressing. It is one of the delicious flavor combinations I have grown to love since I moved the U.S.
This salad can also be made ahead or make great leftovers. For instance, I had a pack of four chicken breasts, but I was only making this for my husband and myself. I cooked all the chicken breasts and stored the leftover pieces along with the celery and sauce in a tupperware and assembled two more salads the next day.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups celery (226 grams) sliced
- 1 cup (236 ml) Franks red hot sauce
- 4 heads of romaine chopped, 8 ounces each
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 avocados, sliced or cut into chunks
- Blue cheese dressing
- 3 ounces (113 grams) blue cheese crumbles
- Lay the chicken breasts on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and pound with a small frying pan, rolling pin or mallet until a little thicker than ¼ inch. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts evenly.
- To a large sauté pan add the 3 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat. When the butter melts and start to bubble, add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side, remove and set aside.
- To the same pan add 1 tablespoon of butter and melt. When the butter bubbles, add the celery and stir to coat with the butter, cook for 2 minutes. Add the hot sauce and stir to mix. Add the chicken and coat with the celery and sauce. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat under the chicken and transfer from the pan onto a cutting board and leave to rest for 2 minutes.
- Add the romaine, peppers and avocado to a large bowl. Toss with the salad dressing. You can add more dressing depending how you much you like.
- Slice the chicken and place over the lettuce, top with sauce and celery, blue cheese crumbles and more dressing if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 406Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 120mgSodium 420mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 8gProtein 45g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.
If you’ve made Warm Buffalo Chicken Salad or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!