Tuna Pita Pockets can be a quick and delicious lunch or dinner. Good quality tuna is mixed with lemon, Greek yogurt, sweet grapes, mustard, mayonnaise and spices served inside a whole wheat pita.
It’s back to school time! Is it me, or was that the quickest Summer ever? Now that Summer is winding down, warm days transition into cool early mornings and late evenings. These long days don’t leave much time for cooking, so this inspired me to create an easy, no-cook dinner recipe. I am about to help out all you busy moms with a dinner that can be on the table in about 15 minutes. Read on for an easy and delicious recipe for tuna pita pockets.
The recipe starts with good, sustainable canned tuna which easy and delicious way to add a variety of nutrients to your diet including lean protein, healthy fat, and important vitamins and minerals. To pack even more nutrition into these pita pockets, I mixed the tuna with Greek yogurt and store-bought coleslaw mix to sneak in an extra veggie serving along with red grapes for sweetness.
Everything is mixed together and stuffed into grilled whole wheat pita pockets for extra fiber and vitamins. Grilling the pitas give them a lovely toasty flavor, but if you don’t have an indoor or outdoor grill, you can skip this step.
Once the tuna is mixed with all the ingredients, it’s just a matter of assembling the pita pockets. The pockets are carefully opened (sometimes they stick together so be careful to not tear them) and a crispy slice of lettuce is nestled in, the tuna mix is added and that’s it, dinner is done.
If you’ve tried these Tuna Pita Pockets or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets, cut in half
- 2 - 5 ounce cans solid white albacore tuna in water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- 4 red grapes, sliced
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Grill the pita pockets on 1 side. *see note
- To a mixing bowl add the tuna, lemon juice, coleslaw mix, grapes, mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard salt, pepper and celery seed. Mix well until everything is combined.
- Carefully open the pitas so they don't tear.
- Add a slice of lettuce to 1 pita and spoon in 2-3 tablespoons of the tuna mix. Repeat with the other 3 pitas.
- Serve with your favorite sides.
* This can be done on an indoor or outdoor grill. If you don't have a grill available, skip this step.
Serving Size:1/2 pita
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 372 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 1010mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Protein: 32g