Cheesy Tuna Melt Cakes
What cheese is best?
How to make the Cheesy Tuna Melt Cakes
You might say these are similar to tuna croquettes, just gussied up with potato, corn and melted cheese.
The cakes are garnished with a very easy lemon mayonnaise; made simply with fresh lemon juice and mayonnaise mixed together that is a fresh tasting ‘sauce’ which complements the cakes perfectly.
Take a look at that oozing cheese below. Is there anything better when you get through the crispy, cake and the cheese starts to melt on the plate? I’m drooling over here!
- 5 medium russet or gold potatoes
- 6 ounces sustainable tuna in water, drained
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1 inch cubes Castello light havarti cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Using a fork, pierce the skin of the [adjustable]5[/adjustable] potatoes all over.
- Microwave each potato for 2 minutes, turn and microwave for 2 minutes until the skins start to wrinkle and the potatoes are soft. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl add the potato and mash until smooth. Add the tuna and mix well. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, mustard, mayonnaise, green onions, corn, salt and pepper.
- Take 3/4 cup of mix and form into a flat round. Make a deep well in the center of the cakes and place a cube of cheese.
- Re-form the patties so the cheese is well covered into 3 inch diameter by 1 inch high cakes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the cakes to set.
- Add the egg and panko to shallow bowls. Dip the patties into the egg, then into the panko.
- Add oil to a cast iron skillet and heat over medium heat until it starts to ripple. Add the patties and cook for 2 minutes each side.
- Add the the mayonnaise and lemon to a small mixing bowl and mix well. Drizzle over the finished cakes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 847Total Fat 72gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 60gCholesterol 65mgSodium 1004mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 3gSugar 13gProtein 14g