Using seasonal vegetables, Summer Vegetable Fried is a versatile side dish that you can add any veggies you like to and is on the table in under 30 minutes.
Everyone loves a good veggie fried rice and I love to load it with as many as my favorite vegetables as possible and customize depending what is in season.
The combination of vegetables I used in this dish are onions, sweet peppers (the small colorful ones you find in the produce section in the little bags) summer squash, carrots and fresh peas. Frozen peas can also be used if you can’t find fresh.
For a delicious, sweet bite, I like to add fresh pineapple pieces. You could also add fresh orange segments too. Make it a meal, add cooked chicken, beef, shrimp or tofu.
This rice was part of a complete meal with Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Wings (< click text for recipe link) and simple sautéed snow peas.
Short grain, white rice is what I like to use. It is also best if the rice has been cooked and cooled, so leftover rice or make the rice ahead is what you want to prevent it clumping.
If you’ve tried this Summer Vegetable Fried Rice or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ounces sweet peppers, chopped
- 3 ounces summer squash, chopped small
- 2 ounces carrots, chopped into small matchsticks
- 2 ounces fresh peas
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 2 cups cooked rice, cold
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- To a heavy skillet, add the 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers and squash, cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Stir in the carrots, peas and garlic cook 1 minute. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the pan and turn the heat up to high. Add the rice and press in an even layer. Brown the rice slightly in the oil, stirring as needed to brown slightly.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Make a well in the center by pushing the rice to the edge of the pan and add the beaten egg. As it starts to set, fold in the rice and mix to break up the egg. Add the vegetables and soy sauce, stir to combine well. Serve immediately garnished with green onions.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 243mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 4g