Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Wings
Orange chicken meets crispy chicken wings that are not fried. Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Wings are made in the slow cooker in a delicious orange sauce, then broiled.
If you love wings, there’s nothing better than a sticky, crispy bite. I have to admit, I can eat almost my weight in these in one sitting. Eat, discard the bones, repeat. The leftover sauce makes for great dipping (see pic below).
I’ve incorporated my recipe for orange sauce that I use for Orange Chicken Orzo Pasta Salad (recipe link below) into this wing recipe. This sauce is also so good as a dip, poured over salmon or any fish really and is sugar free. Sweetened only with good honey.
The chicken wings cook low and slow in the crockpot to infuse all the yummy flavors of fresh orange, soy sauce, ginger and honey. Once they are fall-off-the-bone delicious, they get broiled so the skin crisps up (which is my favorite part).
Perfect for parties and large groups, you can batch make these. Just make sure you have plenty of napkins and wet wipes.
Buying chicken wings
I like to buy them in the bulk pack. They will usually come with the little drumettes attached which I like because it’s like getting more for your money. The wings with also have a little wing tips attached. I remove these because there really is not much meat on them.
To separate the drumettes from the wings, bend them at the joint, then use a sharp knife to cut.
How do I keep chicken wings warm
If you’re serving these for a party, serve the wings in a slow cooker turned on to warm.
I served Summer Vegetable Fried Rice (< click text for recipe link) for a complete meal idea along with simply sautéed snap peas.
If you’ve tried these Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Wings or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- 4 pounds (about 24) chicken wings
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Green onions, sliced
- To a mixing bowl, add the orange juice, zest, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar and honey, whisk to combine.
- Turn on the slow cooker to high and add the chicken wings, pour over the sauce. Use tongs to make sure all of the wings are coated. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high, 4 hours on low.
- Preheat the broiler. Add the wings to a foil covered baking sheet in a single layer and broil until they brown on both sides. Coat with more sauce before serving.
Serving Size4 wings
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gSodium 245mgCarbohydrates 29gSugar 5gProtein 15g